Audio Levels

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
What level do you set your dialogue to? For my local public access TV station it's -12db average to -6db peak. YouTube has their own volume level so I feel like it my dialogue was -12db it would be way to loud with YouTube's Volume all the way up. Does anyone else agree?

I always try to peak around -6 as well. It's kind of the standard for voiceovers.

Edit: I was actually taught by my audio professor in college to always peak around -12 to -6 dB for voiceovers.

Last edited:
As above stick between -12 and -6. In film they teach the same principle; seems to be fairly universal across audio platforms.

James.

I was told -8 by a friend... good to see there is a bit more of a range...

What's the range for background music? It sounds so different with headphones on compared to speakers... so I am not sure what level to set it at in order for it to be audible, but not distracting?

You can listen to a few of my later videos to see what I am trying. My audio is really buzzy as well which doesn't help. Maybe the background music can be higher once I get that sorted out?

Either way; if there's an accepted convention on background music levels let me know as it would really help!

Back