Audio Issues =/

ParaGirlHauntedDiary

Hey all, I'm having a little bit of issues with the audio in my videos, they are so QUIET!

I edit my videos on my laptop on FULL volume with headphones to the point I can hardly contain the noise so I know it's loud enough, but as soon as I upload them to YouTube I click to make sure everything is running smoothly but the audio is WAY too quiet, much more quiet than the original edit on my laptop.

Any idea how I can fix this? Because I believe it's getting in the way of peoples entertainment

You want to match your audio level to most the popular youtubers so you find that average volume your audio should be at. Don't turn up the volume on your laptop, that will only help you and not other people listening to your videos.

In your video editing program you want your volume to be no greater than '0 DB' otherwise clipping may occur. Goodluck.

I had this problem, and believe I've resolved it for myself recently.

YouTube has an audio normalization feature. When watching a YouTube video, right click and select "stats for nerds." From here, you should see some audio statistics, such as 100%/100% (-30dB).

This means that your video is playing 30dB below the point to where YouTube will decrease the volume of your video for everyone because it is too loud.

As mentioned above, try increasing the volume of your videos within your editing software, not within your own volume control for your laptop alone.

So once you figure out how to increase the volume in your software, don't be afraid to raise it to a much higher level, like I was. YouTube will decrease the audio level if it too loud.

Any other questions, or have I made something unclear?

Best of luck,

Justin

When your editing you wanna load a video from any popular channel, and then play back your video in editing and gauge it so that the volumes are the same /near same. Is an easy way. Or look at the video footage, or separate mp4/wav file on your editor and make sure you have not turned down the db to something dumb. You want them at around 0 which is normal. If you are listening with headphone on full then you may have turned down the volume of the actual wav file etc to compensate. If its anything -20 -30 then thats the kind of volume for some gentle background moosic etc that you might speak over at 0 db. Hope thats helpful.

What I tend to do to test the audio of my video, is I’ll watch a YouTube video and set the volume on my laptop to what I’d normally use when watching a video. Then I’ll edit my audio to match that. I try to never turn up (or down) my laptop audio and just solely focus on the footage audio. I do it this way because I think “if I listen to videos at this level, I’m sure other people do too” I try to make it fit my needs instead of me fitting the videos needs if that makes sense. Also, most people do not watch videos on full volume (I know for me I tend to listen on the more quiet side (usually between 10-20)) so a majority of your viewers won’t be watching your videos at the same volume you are while editing.
TLDR; focus on footage audio not laptop audio. Pretend the video your editing is already a video on YouTube and set your laptop volume to match that of the volume you watch regular YouTube videos

Back