Astro A40 + Elgato + PC audio in/out

KuzuRanger

I have a very specific question for YT gaming commentators, hopefully someone already with the A40s.

I have an Elgato and currently record PS3 gameplay. I have way too many wires and outdated equipment so I'm looking to purchase the "Astro A40 Audio System 2013" but have a few questions.

The top pic shows my current setup. Bottom pic shows my ideal setup.
QJNJie23z_1pAoLgbNC9YzMglpKv5L-LAuvIAJ4xRReBOnLMBOkbqZ2Z-iZE9Ux4LcV9UKdfyfiwDWusDHiKP6sFBMYv1KJK8POhXiU7dQWaFc4TU5Zp6R6B

Actually the biggest and most important question I have is whether or not the A40 can do all 4 things at once: hear audio & send chat via PS3, hear audio & send chat via PC.

I have read the manual and confirmed there are separate ports for this. For PS3 audio it uses the digital optical connection, and for PS3 chat it piggybacks off the component AV connection. For PC it can connect several ways, and for PC mic output there is a specific jack for that. So there are no hardware limitations but I have yet to confirm whether or not the Mixamp will allow all 4 combinations at the same time.

At the very least, I would like to confirm that the A40 can hear audio from PS3, hear audio from PC, & send audio to PC at the same time. (but unable to send chat to PS3).

If anyone has any experience with this type of setup I would appreciate any info. Thanks so much.

Q1: Yes, not sure how. But you can live comm (record audio on the PC) while still allowing game chat to work. I'd advise looking up a tutorial but TL;DR: It's possible
Q2: No. Not possible
It can't get any in from the PC, but can do out. It can give in and out to the PS3.

I'd suggest a A50 as it is wireless. I have one myself and it works great and decreases the "mess" created by excessive wires.
I have had issues using my Astros with both, the PS3/Xbox (I know you use it for the PS3/PC). I'm not sure if the same goes for the PS3/PC.

Thx for the responses.

SamTochelliDesign
However I know for a fact the A40 2013 version can both receive audio from PC and send audio out to PC. The A40 Mixamp manual describes the following:
"As it does for console games, the A40 MixAmp™ will give any connected PC the benefits of Dolby® Surround and high-quality amplification without using processor cycles or internal hardware. There are many different ways to connect the A40 - we’ll list the connections you can use (in the preferred order of quality)."

Lilikoi Juice
Going wireless is about my last concern actually. I just want to be able to game normally (get PS3 audio, chat to PS3) while also sending that same mic chat to PC and hearing others (if I do Skype, Mumble, TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, etc.)

Thx for the responses.

SamTochelliDesign
However I know for a fact the A40 2013 version can both receive audio from PC and send audio out to PC. The A40 Mixamp manual describes the following:
"As it does for console games, the A40 MixAmp™ will give any connected PC the benefits of Dolby® Surround and high-quality amplification without using processor cycles or internal hardware. There are many different ways to connect the A40 - we’ll list the connections you can use (in the preferred order of quality)."

Lilikoi Juice
Going wireless is about my last concern actually. I just want to be able to game normally (get PS3 audio, chat to PS3) while also sending that same mic chat to PC and hearing others (if I do Skype, Mumble, TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, etc.)

It can send it to the PC, but not at the same time as the PS3. It would have to be solely hooked up to the PC.

Ooh... damnit that is what I was fearing.
SamTochelliDesign
Maybe we are talking about a different Mixamp. The newest "A40 Audio System 2013 version" has the most advanced Mixamp apparently. It does allow for all 4 connection types at the same time because there are separate connectors for each; see my original post. (Just I don't know how many can be *used* at the same time)

The thing is, I just saw a post (on Astro forums) about a guy talking about streaming. He records with a game capture, and wanted to talk live in-game to teammates while also sending that mic output to PC for live-stream. He had the A50s.

The person who responded to that said its not possible with the A50s, but that the A40 (2013 version) has an advanced Mixamp that would allow that: ie, hear console, chat to console, chat to PC at the same time.[DOUBLEPOST=1372832834,1372830221][/DOUBLEPOST]Taken directly from the Astro site forums:

"Q: I want to stream on Twitch with only using my Astro headset so the people watching the stream & people in game can hear me through one microphone. (Blah blah blah different problem about humming...)

A: The humming/buzzing is probably occurring because blah blah blah.....
(Astro forum mod)"

Notice the response. If simultaneous stream chat (to PC) + in-game chat (to PS3) were entirely impossible, surely the mod would have addressed that first as the main and insurmountable issue. Yet in fact he said nothing about it - does that mean its a given that it works??!

Ooh... damnit that is what I was fearing.

The thing is, I just saw a post (on Astro forums) about a guy talking about streaming. He records with a game capture, and wanted to talk live in-game to teammates while also sending that mic output to PC for live-stream. He had the A50s.

The person who responded to that said its not possible with the A50s, but that the A40 (2013 version) has an advanced Mixamp that would allow that: ie, hear console, chat to console, chat to PC at the same time.[DOUBLEPOST=1372832834,1372830221][/DOUBLEPOST]Taken directly from the Astro site forums:

"Q: I want to stream on Twitch with only using my Astro headset so the people watching the stream & people in game can hear me through one microphone. (Blah blah blah different problem about humming...)

A: The humming/buzzing is probably occurring because blah blah blah.....
(Astro forum mod)"

Notice the response. If simultaneous stream chat (to PC) + in-game chat (to PS3) were entirely impossible, surely the mod would have addressed that first as the main and insurmountable issue. Yet in fact he said nothing about it - does that mean its a given that it works??!

Yes, that does work. You can make game chat and the stream hear you(or record it, whichever you are attempting)[DOUBLEPOST=1372833054][/DOUBLEPOST]Try this tutorial, see if it answers your questions: /watch?v=OOVaSBATXGk

@SamTochelliDesign
Last question, I promise!! (for now at least lol)
So you are confirming that you can 1) hear audio from PS3, 2) chat out to PS3, and 3) chat out to PC at the same time with the Astro A40 Audio System 2013 version??

@SamTochelliDesign
Last question, I promise!! (for now at least lol)
So you are confirming that you can 1) hear audio from PS3, 2) chat out to PS3, and 3) chat out to PC at the same time with the Astro A40 Audio System 2013 version??

If you mean chat out to something like recording software, a livestream, etc. yes. If you mean to another game on the PC at the same time, no it's one or the other

SamTochelliDesign

The first one..
I just want to play my game, be able to talk to anyone in my party (and not having to add people or coordinate with Skype, Mumble, etc. saves a huge hassle!), and simultaneously send my voice to PC to record live (via Elgato live commentary) or to separate audio recorder (like Audacity). Basically, I want to play in a team game where everyone (including my own voice) is recorded while only using one headset/mic. From what I understand now (and your very helpful feedback) I believe the A40s are going to be able to let me do that! Very happy with that. Thank you so much bro.
:p

Back