Article 13

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
so who's been learning about this? What are your thoughts? I'm thinking it might not be a bad thing. Has It been a free for all for too long? Uploading content you actually own such a strange idea? I think this could reward those that are working harder to make original content which I like. Some negatives however imo are that it seems to unfairly favour the old tradition media in such a way as it creates censorship for everyone else. Hopefully the UK won't be in UE past March 2019.. We don't like too much the EU telling us what to do no matter right or wrong.

From what I've read and heard about it, it's not exactly censorship, but it does not really take into account fair use, prohibiting the likes of reaction or commentary channels, or even people like iDubbz with the Content Cop (not specifically him but stuff like that) from using the other peoples' footage to provide context or use it for criticism. So Article 13 seems kinda sucky to me

Well... YouTube is kind of making a bigger profit off of copyright stuff -- although they also have to pay for big blanket licenses and servers, so....who knows... I get about $7 per 1000 streams on Spotify vs. the $1 per 1000 streams on YouTube (with skippable ads enabled), or about $0.10 per 1000 views with only the YouTube popup ads enabled (All channels are different, ofc...but I suspect those are fairly common numbers). It would be nice if Google somehow paid creators more like other platforms, but I doubt that will happen. I predict YouTube will just ban EU users from viewing any videos with a copyright claim.

The link sharing tax thing is what worries me the most, but I don't understand all the details.

I think this is going to be one of those things where we don't really know how things are going to go until it starts to happen (this kind of reminds me of all the scary Brexit predictions and stuff...)... :/

We don't like too much the EU telling us what to do no matter right or wrong.

For me a united Europe is a good option because it would eliminate the Greek strong elite in politics and public sector.
Actually, there are elected representatives from every country to up/down vote anything.
The real problem is the EU bureaucrats. But this is another discussion I guess...

I have watched the new video on article 13 from Youtube and didn't convinced me as long as I already know that any video with third party copyrighted material I have uploaded is a matter of deletion at any time. And I am talking just music beds, not pictures infringement. So, nothing new here. As for reactions, commentaries etc, perhaps they can be done without reproducing tons of original stuff.

Youtube's original upload licenses are "BY" creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/legalcode
by attribution if i am not wrong. So, for reproduction of (let's call them as) internal YT videos by a third user as commentary how they are licensed and how they represented is Youtube's problem not mine if I got this right, (well, not really sure though!... :p )

What is article 13??

ARTICLE 13 affects everyone. Even if your outside of EU it may mean your videos are no longer shown to EU member countries. Even for product reviewers like myself making 100% original content there are implications. We couldn't even show the outside of a product packaging that we're unboxing as it would show original artwork on it. General reviews for 'Education or non profit' (or fair use) has a strong caveat which says it will apply ONLY to “publishers of press publications”! Seems like a bias to restore dying traditional/fake news media. We'll be back in dark ages pretty fast.

I've heard about this.

I'm not worried for my content, because my animations are original, BUT I do use music from other channels (like Bass Rebels, Chill Hop, etc.) with proper crediting. However, I'm scared that YouTube will just block everything that EU content creators upload (I've read something like this, actually).

I just hope it's not true.

YouTube's Creators Academy uploaded a video about Article 13:

Apparently, YouTube's plan to comply with Article 13 is to have all of the EU blocked from uploading and viewing the majority of videos... :/

Everything sounds so extreme... I don't know what to believe. Could Google really afford to block the entire EU like that??? I'd imagine they'd need to come up with a better plan. :/

Apparently, YouTube's plan to comply with Article 13 is to have all of the EU blocked from uploading and viewing the majority of videos... :/

It's the only choice that they and other social media platforms have. But doing so is going to motivate people in the EU to get this ridiculous law changed and hopefully, just overthrow the EU entirely. That's democracy in action.

Back