Are Original Ideas Smart to Start a Channel With?

I hate to say this, but making original content is literally the worst thing you can do if you're aiming to grow an audience. :( I've heard people say this and I've experienced it myself. I get virtually no subs through YouTube search or suggested, only through promotion and with that, there's no "snowball" effect happening (I'm 6 months in, and in terms of growth, I'm having the worst month.)

To put it harshly, you have to decide what's more important to you - doing what you love or gaining an audience. But perhaps you can find a compromise?

I think you should do you. For most people, youtube is a hobby anyway as opposed to some sort of business empire. You should make videos you enjoy! Besides, there's plenty of unusual stuff on youtube that ended up absurdly popular, from unboxing, to random clips of stuff, to asmr, to extraction videos :yuck2:. It's hard to say if a channel will take off even if it's all trendy things like challenge videos or let's plays, so might as well do what you like! Maybe you'll even find a new niche along the way :)

You should definitely start out with original content, I watched your Larry video and all I gotta say is that it's definitely a breath of fresh air from the vine compilations and grown men screaming at badly made games.

I think it definitely is, but as you said, they won't get searched up so you need to find other ways of marketing it and sharing it on other sites!

Back