Any tips on how to decorate an appealing background setting?

UnaverageNorwegian

Vlogger in training
Hi Guys,
Im gonna get right to the point.
I want to have an designated room to do recordings in. Right now i dont feel like i have a good place to do that, so i have just been recording while being outside, driving and so on. I have the room ready. its not big but i guess it will do. I tried doing a search on the forum but i couldn't really find a thread about this.

So: Do anyone have any tips on how to decorate whats behind me in the shot,
when doing recordings at home, so that it looks appealing for my audience?

I Know a lot of people just do the green screen thing, but i don't know, i want something physical , so i can interact with it as well... Any good tips?

I'm thinking items with colors that are in different distances from the camera to create a cinematic depth.
If that makes sens to any of you? im also playing around with the thought of painting the walls somewhat unique, Maybe even doing some artwork on them, but then again,will it be a bit "too much"?

All suggestions, ideas, and help is much appreciated!

I try not to show too much of the room, I feel like the more of the room you show, the more potential it has to look disorganised. The majority of my videos are filmed in a corner of the room, the camera is resting on the windowsill of one wall and set up facing it with the background of another wall. Although it's a small space, there's plenty of room for knick knacks and pictures on the wall (I just haven't put anything up yet!) Another setup I have is in the living room, where I'll film on the sofa with the wall behind me. That's just what works for me anyway, I'm interested to see what other people suggest.

I find that stuff which represent you as a person or your channel is always nice. It kinda gives me the feeling I know more about you already by looking the the stuff behind you. Thats all i can think of as I don't really make these kind of videos.

Thats kind
I find that stuff which represent you as a person or your channel is always nice. It kinda gives me the feeling I know more about you already by looking the the stuff behind you. Thats all i can think of as I don't really make these kind of videos.
thats kindof what i was thinking :) i do antiques, and have my own antiqueshop as well, so i have lots of props :)

I usually film against a blank projector screen or the side of my room. Try to keep the background clean so people can focus on you, it's okay to decorate with a few things to help show off your personality, but don't go crazy with it.

A few shelves with really simple, graphic things on them can make a background look good. Or just a repetitive pattern of anything (one YouTuber I watch stands in front of a wall of cardboard boxes with different colored Post Its on them, and it looks great). Or a brightly-colored wall on its own.

Some things that are (in my opinion) a little bit over-done:
  • Tapestries/bedsheets
  • Fairy lights
  • YouTube logo anything/emoji anything

Try and keep it clean, not cluttered. Wall art, deco, artwork would actually be pretty cool, but try not to surround yourself with too many things, so that the attention strays from your person you know? A couple of cool things always do good in a simple talking shot. Good luck!

Back