Any advice.?

WickedSightArtist

I Love YTtalk
Right at the moment my set up for everything is a Canon 600d, with an 18-55mm lens, small shoe box lighting, tripod, then i have my laptop of course, with premiere pro, sony vegas, and after effects.

If you see my videos you'll understand why I need specific equipment as I make HD videos for other people.

Basically I am looking to get a canon prime 50mm f/1.8 for my camera, I also need a mic I know lol.

Any other suggestions??

Do you know which microphone you're getting? Do you have a pop filter, or a shock mount, or are you getting a clip on microphone?

The Rode NTG-2 is a pretty good shotgun (it's what we use) on the lower pricing end. You'll also want a beachtek or juicedlink adapter box that not only allows you to use pro (xlr connector) mics with your camera, but also gives you some independent control of your audio levels.

Ultimately, gearing up can cost you anywhere form a few hundred bucks to several thousand dollars. When you're investing in your equipment to do paid work for other clients, it really comes down to what their needs are and what kind of gear they expect you to have before they give you the job.

The Rode NTG-2 is a pretty good shotgun (it's what we use) on the lower pricing end. You'll also want a beachtek or juicedlink adapter box that not only allows you to use pro (xlr connector) mics with your camera, but also gives you some independent control of your audio levels.

Ultimately, gearing up can cost you anywhere form a few hundred bucks to several thousand dollars. When you're investing in your equipment to do paid work for other clients, it really comes down to what their needs are and what kind of gear they expect you to have before they give you the job.
Yeah I understand a lot, but where as for now on my channel the things I'm doing are for free, so I don't charge people for these videos, so right now its not a pleasing client job as such obviously it is in a way but not as bad as it would be if I were being paid, then any paid work is all full music videos in which case the audio is added in later after being recorded in a studio etc

Yeah I understand a lot, but where as for now on my channel the things I'm doing are for free, so I don't charge people for these videos, so right now its not a pleasing client job as such obviously it is in a way but not as bad as it would be if I were being paid, then any paid work is all full music videos in which case the audio is added in later after being recorded in a studio etc

Cool, that makes things a lot easier. It's hard for people to complain when they're getting something for free.

That said, I stand by my minimum: either an xlr adapter box for your DSLR like the Beachtek or Juicedlink, or a separate recorder like the Zoom h4N, plus a decent xlr mic like the Rode NTG-2. Expect to invest between $350 and $500 (which is a lot, but not much at all compared to what sound equipment can really cost). It's worth it, though, sound is always a better investment than cameras.

We run a Rode NTG-2 through a Zoom. You can actually here the difference in the video in my sig: the main episode is through the rode/zoom, but the clip in the end slate is camera audio. (Both were tweaked in post, but there's still a huge difference in quality, because you can never get camera audio to sound as good as proper audio, no matter what you do with it in editing).

Hope that helps!

Back