Adwords (and other White-Hat advertising platforms)

What I still need to confirm with Adwords, is whether those views count towards the video actually ranking in the search.

Based on my single video Adwords experience - they do not count and they may even have slightly negative effect if the algorithm counts the lower audience retention of the ad.
The video I used still ranks at first page with the appropriate keywords search but the traffic started to slowly decrease after I used it in ad campaign. It could be a natural process though.
I hope this info helps.[DOUBLEPOST=1441091500,1441088450][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi all this is my first post :)

I'm in a crowded market space (kids un boxing) and the first 7 or 8 pages of any related research are packed with content from about half a dozen Channels, these channels are real gorillas with billions of views and millions of subscribers. I'm considering Adwords in an attempt to get a bit higher up the search rankings. My question is how does adword promotion for YouTube vids actually work, will it put me at the top? Also, what is the best strategy?

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Hi there. Not it will not put you on the top- it will only show your videos in the form of ads. If you have outstanding content (or at least slightly above average) it may work fine in long term - if it is below average - it will not.

Good luck with you new channel![DOUBLEPOST=1441091802][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd focus on a specific channel. Put your ads in front of every video of someone that does very similar content. If you're doing kids un boxing pick the biggest 2 or three kids unboxing channels and hit their channels hard.

I am sorry for the newbie question but can you actually target specific YT channel with Adwords - I wanted to know the answer of this question for quite some time as if it possible indeed it will be very powerful tool to promote!

BWT - great post and advices! Thank you!

I am sorry for the newbie question but can you actually target specific YT channel with Adwords - I wanted to know the answer of this question for quite some time as if it possible indeed it will be very powerful tool to promote!

BWT - great post and advices! Thank you!

Yes, you can target a specific channel with Adwords. It's under the "targeting" section when you build out a campaign. You can actually get as specific as a single video where your ad only plays in front of a certain video or appears in the suggested videos for a specific video. If you have trouble setting it up adwords, unlike YouTube, has pretty good customer service so you can call them and they'll talk you through it.

Yes, you can target a specific channel with Adwords. It's under the "targeting" section when you build out a campaign. You can actually get as specific as a single video where your ad only plays in front of a certain video or appears in the suggested videos for a specific video. If you have trouble setting it up adwords, unlike YouTube, has pretty good customer service so you can call them and they'll talk you through it.

Thank you! This makes the adwords campaign so much easier and efficient!

Thank you! This makes the adwords campaign so much easier and efficient!
It can but it can get pretty expensive depending on what video you're targeting and how much competition there is for advertising on that video. You might have situations where it estimates that you'll get <250 ad hits for your max cpc and in reality you'll get none because your max cpc wasn't nearly high enough. This will usually force you to target less popular videos in order to keep things cost effective. I've only experimented with targeting specific videos once or twice. I had to keep creeping my max cpc up before I started getting impressions. For my purposes, search result targeting is less expensive and suits me better. For you that might be different. Good luck.

It can but it can get pretty expensive depending on what video you're targeting and how much competition there is for advertising on that video. You might have situations where it estimates that you'll get <250 ad hits for your max cpc and in reality you'll get none because your max cpc wasn't nearly high enough. This will usually force you to target less popular videos in order to keep things cost effective. I've only experimented with targeting specific videos once or twice. I had to keep creeping my max cpc up before I started getting impressions. For my purposes, search result targeting is less expensive and suits me better. For you that might be different. Good luck.

Thank you!
Indeed such campaign should require significant financial resource. I do not think 25$ (my last adsense trial) will do any meaningful job with such kind of campaign - especially if I target one of the top kids channels.

I do not think 25$ (my last adsense trial) will do any meaningful job with such kind of campaign - especially if I target one of the top kids channels.
Well, depending on cpc it might be enough to get a rough idea of what you're dealing with and determining whether it will work for you. The only way you'll know is to try it, even if just to determine how much it will cost you per click to be on the top or second tier videos/channels you want to be on.

Hey guys, this is an interesting topic thanks for sharing your experiences!
I do post my videos a couple of places that were picked up for great views which was lovely!
I know we are talking about adwords advertising here and I'm wondering if it is worth it at all for my channel.
I have a nice base of subscribers, and I am happy with the quality of my videos, so if it is a pay per view thing it's really not going to benefit me at all. Is there other adwords methods than pay per view?

I know we are talking about adwords advertising here and I'm wondering if it is worth it at all for my channel.
You will get mixed opinions from people who have used it and have gotten results and those who have used it and not gotten results. You will even get advice from people who haven't used any promotion and have had great results. Try to pick your way through the thread and see what makes sense for your channel and do that.

Also, Adwords is completely changing their interface for 'video campaigns'. It used to be in a separate section but if you update now I believe it's with the other campaigns which provides access to the other metrics that weren't accessible to adwords for video campaigns prior. Prior to this change you couldn't even get a list view of geographic stats. It was horrendous.

Good luck.[DOUBLEPOST=1441257932,1441257851][/DOUBLEPOST]
Out of curiosity, you had a video with 1,000,000 views just last year. Why did you decide to take a break?

You will get mixed opinions from people who have used it and have gotten results and those who have used it and not gotten results. You will even get advice from people who haven't used any promotion and have had great results. Try to pick your way through the thread and see what makes sense for your channel and do that.

Also, Adwords is completely changing their interface for 'video campaigns'. It used to be in a separate section but if you update now I believe it's with the other campaigns which provides access to the other metrics that weren't accessible to adwords for video campaigns prior. Prior to this change you couldn't even get a list view of geographic stats. It was horrendous.

Good luck.[DOUBLEPOST=1441257932,1441257851][/DOUBLEPOST]
Out of curiosity, you had a video with 1,000,000 views just last year. Why did you decide to take a break?

To be honest I have been working on videos all year, it just literally takes me this long to make them. Plus a few things like getting a job got in the way a bit, but im due a release on the 18th, and about 80% of the way through a second vid so i should be speeding up again soon hopefully. thanks for having a look!

Back