Advice for improving confidence in filming videos when not home alone?

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
I always do my youtube videos when home alone, i just find it easier, i can be as loud and stupid as i like and i know noone can hear me

It may be because i have had a bad day all round but i feel really down today

I recieved my new microphone in the post, so i tried to do a video today with it, while people were in the house, and i just couldnt. More then anything i struggle with my volume, i find myself being a lot quieter and i just cant be myself as i feel so anxious, so obviously i didnt get to experience the full effects of my mic as i was too quiet for it to pick up, and the whole general video looked and sounded awful.

I just feel so down and annoyed at the fact i cant do it with people in the house in fear someone will walk in, can anyone give me any advice? I want to be able to make good content regardless of whose around, but my anxiety of being caught is just too much i know it sounds stupid sorry haha

Any tips would be great :)

I struggle with exactly the same thing! I try my best to film each week when no one is home, but when you live with three other people that isn't always possible.
I've honestly found that time helps more than anything. The more you make videos the more confident you grow. If you are comfortable telling who you live with what you are doing that might help as well so they understand why you are being loud and silly as opposed to thinking you are just talking to yourself. I know it can be hard but sometimes you just have to try to forget they are there.
I wish there was more advice I could offer you, but that is what I try to do.
Good Luck!

I struggle with exactly the same thing! I try my best to film each week when no one is home, but when you live with three other people that isn't always possible.
I've honestly found that time helps more than anything. The more you make videos the more confident you grow. If you are comfortable telling who you live with what you are doing that might help as well so they understand why you are being loud and silly as opposed to thinking you are just talking to yourself. I know it can be hard but sometimes you just have to try to forget they are there.
I wish there was more advice I could offer you, but that is what I try to do.
Good Luck!
I live with 3 other girls at uni, so finding a day they are all out is a struggle, one has a room downstairs so if its only her that is in, i am a bit more confident as i know she can't hear me, but the other 2 have a room upstairs like me so i panic, i am just getting annoyed now as i just want to be able to do it

I live with 3 other girls at uni, so finding a day they are all out is a struggle, one has a room downstairs so if its only her that is in, i am a bit more confident as i know she can't hear me, but the other 2 have a room upstairs like me so i panic, i am just getting annoyed now as i just want to be able to do it

How do they feel about your YouTube channel? Are they cool/supportive? My honest opinion (and what I've heard in vids from successful YouTubers) is be yourself no matter what...if they walk in and mess up the video...KEEP IT IN! it's funny and makes the video more "real" - if you are afraid they won't be supportive then their opinion doesn't matter anyways because they'll "not" be supportive whether you make the video or not. They (hopefully) are your friends and understand you're doing this because you enjoy it. It could be a lot worse (trust us...we've had bad roomies). Find ways they can be involved and you can share you passion with them. Invite them to do a vid with you!

Hey,

I do struggle with this at times. Especially when I work and people will affect your emotion some how. Yes it is hard to perform well while you are in a funky mood. So here's what I do.

The best way you can do this is make yourself happy again. To do this you have to set off a spark that changes your emotion. It can be anything that makes you feel better. Like watching a comedy, listening to your favorite song, spending some time with your friends, meditation practice, the list goes on.

Anything that makes you happy do it. I hope that this helps you out.

Also for the fear that people will barge in. Simply just tell them that you're going to record and to give you an hour or however much time you need so you can do your work.

Hope this works and I hope you feel better.

Hai Kai

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Do your best to not think about them being home. Maybe you feel like you're performing in front of an audience if they are there. It's possible they're doing their thing and not really paying attention to you anyway. I recently had to shoot a video when my family was home. It was awkward for me as well but then I realized they all know I make these videos, my wife was trying to get the kids to do their homework anyways so once I stopped focusing on them being home and just stayed focused on what I was doing the weirdness went away.

I don't know this struggle. I normally record with the wife and kids in the same room with me.

You are not alone with this problem. I do usually try to record in the morning when no one's really home, but I borrowed a friend's camera for my 10k sub video, and need to return it tomorrow morning. Problem is I'm only 80% done and have to record over night

thankyou for everyones advice, I especially liked the one about they probably aren't even thinking about what you are doing it helped a lot,

I heard my housemate watching tv in the room next to me, so it increased my confidence in giving it another go, as she hopefully wouldn't be able to hear me, and I did it!

I have just got to sort the audio out now, as I'm having a major problem with static in the background and voice distortion but I'm hoping to find a happy medium as I want to use this one!

How do they feel about your YouTube channel? Are they cool/supportive? My honest opinion (and what I've heard in vids from successful YouTubers) is be yourself no matter what...if they walk in and mess up the video...KEEP IT IN! it's funny and makes the video more "real" - if you are afraid they won't be supportive then their opinion doesn't matter anyways because they'll "not" be supportive whether you make the video or not. They (hopefully) are your friends and understand you're doing this because you enjoy it. It could be a lot worse (trust us...we've had bad roomies). Find ways they can be involved and you can share you passion with them. Invite them to do a vid with you!
they don't personally know about it actually, I don't think it would bother them if they did know, however I don't think they would want to appear in a video which is fine[DOUBLEPOST=1484404229,1484404195][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do it at work! 90% of my videos are done away from home
I work at sainsburys during the holidays so I can't do that haha

Back