Advice about new camera (canon t5i)

I've never been able to touch a Black Magic Camera, this man got the hook ups.
haha yea :) A film teacher has one, and he lets us use it for whatever. It took like 9 months from the time he ordered it to get it, but they are so worth it :) It looks beautiful. The day we got it, we got the entire school (or a lot at least) to go onto the football field and filmed a harlem shake with it. Best video ever![DOUBLEPOST=1377928908,1377928870][/DOUBLEPOST]
Heck yeah he does! I just don't envy him when it comes time to process all the files XD
haha true that. I don't really use it for most projects partly for that reason. We usually shoot on 7Ds and T4i's

I have also purchased a T5i a couple of months ago and I'm perfectly satisfied with it. I was also told at the store that it's basically like the T4i but it has been optimized a bit for recording videos. Nevertheless, I don't regret my choice, it's a great camera. :)

haha yea. I bet 4k comes to consumers at a fair price in the next few years. I've got a 4k black magic I can shoot on, and its pretty epic :) (Not my camera but I can use it for projects free)

The BlackMagic is already available at good prices, 2.5k last time I checked!

Alright, I have a t2i as well, here are some general tips.

1. NEVER USE AUTO FEATURES. Except for colour/ white balance, because those are hard to learn, don't use automatic exposure, adjust the ISO, aperture, and Shutter Speed yourself. Colour correction can be done post production with little to no quality degrading.
2. Make sure to tweak the video settings. 1080p at either 30 or 24p. I'm not sure if T5i has 1080 at 60p, but the t2i does not. If you want to do slow motion, this isn't the camera, but you do have the 720p at 60FPS.
3. Make sure sound recording is ON or OFF, depending on whether you are doing a voice-over or not. Remember, don't use the internal mic, you can hook up a 3.5mm mic to the side.
4. Shutter speed should usually be 2X THE FRAME RATE. So at 30FPS, the shutter speed should be 1/60. For 60 FPS the shutter speed should be 1/120 (or 1/125, I'm not sure which option you have). For more motion, lower the shutter speed, but the cost is less light. But if your intention is more motion blur, increase the shutter speed.
5. MORE ISO=MORE NOISE. Don't push the ISO up too much, it is mainly digital brightness causes noise. In my experience anything over 1600 ISO is garbage, but that may be higher with the newer camera model, as I have the older but still AWESOME t2i.
6. A lower aperture means MORE DEPTH OF FIELD AND MORE LIGHT. I personally keep it low to achieve that professional look (f/4 or below), but with a more motion, things might get out of focus fast. Also, if you want to focus for many things at once, use a higher aperture, I recommend f/9 or higher.
7. EMPTY THE SD CARD WHEN YOU CAN. Do not fill it up. This is a high quality image and video recorder, you are going to fill the sd card up fast. Which leads me to my next point.
8. VIDEOS WILL HAVE .thm FILES WITH THEM. This is the thumbnail for the video, mainly for the camera. You can delete these, no worries.

These are general DSLR tips, I came up with them on the spot. I am by NO MEANS AN EXPERT, please find DSLR filmmaking tutorials on youtube for better and more tips. I hope I helped.

The BlackMagic is already available at good prices, 2.5k last time I checked!
By consumer I mean you can go to Best Buy and pay a grand for one like consumers can with the Cannon EOS cameras.[DOUBLEPOST=1378006785,1378006574][/DOUBLEPOST]
Alright, I have a t2i as well, here are some general tips.

1. NEVER USE AUTO FEATURES. Except for colour/ white balance, because those are hard to learn, don't use automatic exposure, adjust the ISO, aperture, and Shutter Speed yourself. Colour correction can be done post production with little to no quality degrading.
2. Make sure to tweak the video settings. 1080p at either 30 or 24p. I'm not sure if T5i has 1080 at 60p, but the t2i does not. If you want to do slow motion, this isn't the camera, but you do have the 720p at 60FPS.
3. Make sure sound recording is ON or OFF, depending on whether you are doing a voice-over or not. Remember, don't use the internal mic, you can hook up a 3.5mm mic to the side.
4. Shutter speed should usually be 2X THE FRAME RATE. So at 30FPS, the shutter speed should be 1/60. For 60 FPS the shutter speed should be 1/120 (or 1/125, I'm not sure which option you have). For more motion, lower the shutter speed, but the cost is less light. But if your intention is more motion blur, increase the shutter speed.
5. MORE ISO=MORE NOISE. Don't push the ISO up too much, it is mainly digital brightness causes noise. In my experience anything over 1600 ISO is garbage, but that may be higher with the newer camera model, as I have the older but still AWESOME t2i.
6. A lower aperture means MORE DEPTH OF FIELD AND MORE LIGHT. I personally keep it low to achieve that professional look (f/4 or below), but with a more motion, things might get out of focus fast. Also, if you want to focus for many things at once, use a higher aperture, I recommend f/9 or higher.
7. EMPTY THE SD CARD WHEN YOU CAN. Do not fill it up. This is a high quality image and video recorder, you are going to fill the sd card up fast. Which leads me to my next point.
8. VIDEOS WILL HAVE .thm FILES WITH THEM. This is the thumbnail for the video, mainly for the camera. You can delete these, no worries.

These are general DSLR tips, I came up with them on the spot. I am by NO MEANS AN EXPERT, please find DSLR filmmaking tutorials on youtube for better and more tips. I hope I helped.
Great guide! I would add that you should always use a class 10 SD card with DSLRs. Also, always shoot at 24FPS 1920 x 1080 unless you have reason to do otherwise (like slow-motion footage). I shoot all my "professional" shoots (outside of YouTube) with the aperture at f/4, because you get a more filmic look. Also, ISO should never be above 400. If it is, you don't have a sufficient lighting setup. Lastly, never use auto white balance. Take a picture of you holding a white piece of paper in the set with the lights on to use for your white balance.

By consumer I mean you can go to Best Buy and pay a grand for one like consumers can with the Cannon EOS cameras.[DOUBLEPOST=1378006785,1378006574][/DOUBLEPOST]
Great guide! I would add that you should always use a class 10 SD card with DSLRs. Also, always shoot at 24FPS 1920 x 1080 unless you have reason to do otherwise (like slow-motion footage). I shoot all my "professional" shoots (outside of YouTube) with the aperture at f/4, because you get a more filmic look. Also, ISO should never be above 400. If it is, you don't have a sufficient lighting setup. Lastly, never use auto white balance. Take a picture of you holding a white piece of paper in the set with the lights on to use for your white balance.

Oh right, I see what you mean.

Ya, I don't have any lighting, so I have to wait for around 4pm so the light shines into my room, so I can film. Thanks for the tips!

Back