2nd Copyright Strike - Advice Needed

Find another hobby if you can't help but infringe on another's copyright.

Thanks for the advice, but something tells me you've haven't read the whole thread.

Right from the start I said it was the wrong thing to do, but the issue here is there's a guy that's deliberately flagging video & wrongly claiming copyright ownership.

He's taken the name of a Grammy awarding winning record producer, made up a false email & then flagged loads of videos. The actual REAL Grammy awarding winning record producer has got wind of this & tweeted:

"There is a fake account of me telling people to remove their YouTube covers of songs I produced, that is not me, just to let you know"

But yeah, you're right .. `Do... Not... Upload... Anything... That... Is... Not... Yours' .. thanks again for your `wonderfully helpful' advice.

Reactions: RBG
If you think you are in the right and you want to defend that, then you obviously can't do that unanimously. So i'd figure out what you really want.

And just for the record, I think we all have made some copyright mistakes at one time or another, including me.

Thanks Kelkschiz & you're right, I do have to make a counter claim. It's just that I hate the idea of YouTube sending this guy my name, address & phone number .. Not only that, he's done it to loads of people, so if they all make counter claims, this scam artist is getting everyone's personal details.

Not sure if he can do anything dodgy with just a name, address & phone number, but still :<

Perhaps get a P.O. box? It stinks that it costs money...but it might shield your address. The phone number is more iffy, but I think there is Google Phone (or at least there used to be) that was pretty cheap? That might get you a phone number, but I'm not sure if the system will flag it as a fake number.. It's easy to figure out where people live by using things like Zabasearch, so once they know your name (if it's a slightly unique name), they can usually figure out the rest. I would probably send in my real name and number and if he sends any threats or scams, then I'd take it to the police. He's already broken the law by making false copyright claims (and it sounds like he's made a false claim not only by picking the wrong song, but also by not owning the copyrights to begin with..)... Perhaps try to get in contact with the actual producer who made the tweet. It's not their song, but they might be interested in getting more information on the person sending out false copyright claims on their content and have some suggestions... I'd also email YouTube and see what they say. I'm sure they get lots of Strike emails, but so far they've been pretty responsive to my general YouTube questions. They got back with me in 1 day to help me merge an account, and an actual person helped when I had stupid questions about things that I could have found in the faq.... =/ If they have the staff to help answer my silliness, then they must have the staff for your kind of situation.

thanks again for your `wonderfully helpful' advice.

Guess what? You wouldn't have been in the situation you are in right now if you didn't upload it. Cheap shot deflected. Wrongly or not, you DESERVED to be flagged for uploading copyrighted stuff. Get original, or get lost.

I know the thread is more about the 2nd strike but I HAVE TO ask....
"First of all, the 1st copyright strike I received, I can totally accept. I foolishly uploaded a (drunken) cover of a friend of mine `attempting' to sing an Adele song. Not surprisingly, because it was so awful, it was barely recognizable & it didn't raise any flags at the time of uploading, but sure enough, probably due to the title & tags, I eventually received a copyright strike."

You can get a strike for singing a song drunk when it's barely recognizable???? Was the original song playing in the background while he/she sang it?

You can get a strike for singing a song drunk when it's barely recognizable???? Was the original song playing in the background while he/she sang it?

It was, but it was hardly audible & there wasn't a Content ID match at the time of uploading. It was up for about 2 months before the copyright notice, so I'm guessing the title & tags raised the flag!?!

In hindsight, maybe I should have contested it, it was just a silly video of a drunken friend `groaning' along to an Adele song, but the idea of taking on Adele's record company lawyers? .. Yikes![DOUBLEPOST=1428673874,1428672007][/DOUBLEPOST]
Get original, or get lost.

Ah, you're back again with more helpful advice.

Please don't tell me to "Get Lost" .. I made a mistake, admitted it & was just (politely) asking for help.

Anyhow, I've filed a counter claim, so fingers crossed, the copyright strike will be removed & I can move on.

Thanks to everyone (well, almost everyone) for your advice, it's much appreciated.

P.S.

Oh, & Dutch, feel free to have the last word & final judgement .. something tells me you will anyway.

I know the thread is more about the 2nd strike but I HAVE TO ask....
"First of all, the 1st copyright strike I received, I can totally accept. I foolishly uploaded a (drunken) cover of a friend of mine `attempting' to sing an Adele song. Not surprisingly, because it was so awful, it was barely recognizable & it didn't raise any flags at the time of uploading, but sure enough, probably due to the title & tags, I eventually received a copyright strike."

Yes, you need a license to do a cover. The words of the song are copyrighted. Also, the audio recording of a song is also copyrighted. You have two different copyrights to deal with.

Back