25p to 50p - for YouTube.

Kenni

Hi there, everyone! :)

I have some footage from a project I did a while back, when I first started out using my Sony HDR CX-405 Camcorder. At that point I didn't know much about frame rates, etc. so my videos were recorded in 25p.
Lately I've switched to XAVC-S HD and 50p - muuuch better, and great for YouTube!

I have a question...
The footage I have from that time, in 25p, will I be able to, in my video editing program, take that and export it in 50fps? I did a short test last night, and it was uploaded in 50p, but does it mess up the quality, since the footage wasn't shot in 50p but 25p?

Can someone share a little light on that, please :)

Thanks - appreciate it!

The video will have the same quality, regardless of it's frame rate.

Let's say I make a minute video and the first half is recorded with a frame rate of 25 fps (frames per second) and the other is 60 fps. If I export it in 25 fps it will remain completely in 25 fps and if I export it in 60 fps, the first half will be displayed in 25 fps. Even if YouTube says it 60 fps. The other half will be displayed in 60 fps.

And also, I'm not saying that you must do this, but the maximum frame rate that YouTube allows is 60 fps, so take a look at your camera's settings. I don't know much about camera's, but I know 60 fps is a standard thing for even simple action camera's that came out over the last couple of years like Gopro's, so your camera should have that option. It will at least let the viewers see that the video quality in terms of the technical side is good.

I hope you understand my big response and hopefully I helped you.

Last edited:
The video will have the same quality, regardless of it's frame rate.

Let's say I make a minute video and the first half is recorded with a frame rate of 25 fps (frames per second) and the other is 60 fps. If I export it in 25 fps it will remain completely in 25 fps and if I export it in 60 fps, the first half will be displayed in 25 fps. Even if YouTube says it 60 fps. The other half will be displayed in 60 fps.

And also, I'm not saying that you must do this, but the maximum frame rate that YouTube allows is 60 fps, so take a look at your camera's settings. I don't know much about camera's, but I know 60 fps is a standard thing for even simple action camera's that came out over the last couple of years like Gopro's, so your camera should have that option. It will at least let the viewers see that the video quality in terms of the technical side is good.

I hope you understand my big response and hopefully I helped you.

Hi there, Your Buddy Gas! :)

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Well, yeah, that's what I thought anyway.. I just wanted to make sure..
I'll export the project in 25p, fair enough :)

The project is from when I first got my camcorder, and it didn't get the settings right.. I've corrected that, some time ago, and it now shoots in 1080p50p. I know my camcorder has the option to shoot in 60p as well, but I can't find that setting anywhere?
What might be the problem, do you think? My camcorder is a Sony HDR CX-405. I have a 64gb SDCX card in it..

I totally understand your reply, and thanks for putting it out in such detail :)

Thanks!
Cheers.

Hi there, Your Buddy Gas! :)

I know my camcorder has the option to shoot in 60p as well, but I can't find that setting anywhere?
What might be the problem, do you think? My camcorder is a Sony HDR CX-405. I have a 64gb SDCX card in it..

Thanks!
Cheers.
Idk about the camcorder, a simple Google search will probably be good

Idk about the camcorder, a simple Google search will probably be good

I've kind of already done that.. didn't get me anywhere.

I even contacted Sony, but wow, their customer support is totally s**t!
Nothing explained in detail, just one simple and short answer, leading me nowhere!

Well.. I might give it another try!

Cheers!

Back