What is the maximum length a YouTube Video can be to receive Automatic Captions?

Lychon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello all- new member here, and glad to join this community. I couldn't find much on this topic from a cursory search, so hopefully I'm posting this in the correct section.

I have a lengthy video I am about to upload (over an hour and a half)- I was originally planning on deriving an accurate captioning of the video by editing YouTube's automatic captions, but it appears that automatic captions are not added for videos over a certain length. Google does not seem to specify exactly what that length is- does anyone know? Also, if I am over the threshold, my plan is to upload my video in segments (private setting), and then combine the respective automatic captions that are generated for those segments for the full (public setting) upload. If someone has a better method for getting automatic captions generated from YouTube, please let me know!

Thank you-

Lychon

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have not heard of a runtime limit. I watch a lot of old movies on YT (not licensed I am sure), and they have the auto generated closed captions. Most of them are about an hour and a half. But I have also seen plenty of 2 & 3 vids with auto captions. Maybe it takes a while for it to generate?

Lychon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow, if that's true, that would be great! I guess I'll upload it and find out. Thank you for the feedback!

Lychon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For anyone reading this, my 142 minute video did end up receiving auto-generated subtitles from YouTube (which I then used to create my own with YouTube's built-in subtitle editor).