Video Editing Questions?

jonbernth48

Reaction score
I have a few questions about video editing...
Currently pregnant with our second kid so I don't feel like I would have time for college at this moment (I'm a full time mom). I do plan to go to school in a couple of years for video editing since I don't have a degree in anything. I've been told different things about college when it comes to video editing. Like, if "You're a good enough editor you don't need a college degree" and "Some companies require a degree". I love video editing, but I know I need more training and guidance in editing before I could feel confortable working for a company.
  1. Should I get a degree? If not, what about being certified?
  2. If I should get a degree, what college should I go to? Which one would you recommend? Keep in mind I would need it to be online since I'll be busy with 2 kids. My husband can watch the kids, but he works full time so it will be difficult.
  3. Not to sound ignorant, but what degree should I get? Media production degree? Not sure of the name of the type of degree.
Seriously, any advice would be appreciated! Please no bashing! I'm just a mom trying to get into a career she loves. Thanks in advance!

tubefluence

Reaction score
Website
tubefluence.com
Have you considered freelancing? If you have video editing skills and a portfolio, you can join freelancing websites and apply for remote jobs. This might be a better option than a 9-5 job due to the flexibility presented, but some people also value having a normal 9-5 routine. One major benefit of freelancing, however, is not having to worry about having a piece of paper that says you can edit- your work speaks for itself.

It's sort of a difficult question to answer, because every employer is different. With skilled work such as video editing, employers often value skill over education. Meaning, if you're a really good video editor but you don't have a degree, but someone else is a lackluster editor with a degree, you'll be considered before the individual with a degree. It's all a numbers game after all- apply to 100 jobs and there's a good chance you'll find someone who isn't so insistent on employees having a degree.