Using movie footage in a YouTube video - How can I be safe?

VanCityVideo

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Long story short - I want to take clips from a movie, and stitch them together with edited content on top to make a quick parody/joke video.

What is the best course of action to avoid any sort of copyright infringement action? Or to avoid getting automatically flagged by the Content ID system?

I don't necessarily plan on monetizing the video. I understand that parody is protected by fair use, but even that is open to interpretation and isn't a solid legal stance. There are other channels, for example YourMovieSucks, that use movie footage and provide a review, and they even go so far as to monetize their work. However, it seems that they have DMCA complaints filed against them.

Would it be safe enough to include PARODY in the title and description? Does anyone have some good advice on this matter?

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
The main issue is no matter what you do, if DMCA suddenly decides to mess with you, they will, no matter what. I wouldn't chance it unless you can do it somewhere that's not Youtube.

MegaBoringGuy

Biggest Painted On Muscles You've Ever Seen, Baby
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's easier to ask them for permission, so you don't get it taken down at random.

frankgamershow

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It could happen regardless, but you ought to be protected under the Copyright Act, depending... Typically, educational non-profit uses are allowed, but parody is also protected.

Read up on "fair use".

VanCityVideo

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah I'm fairly certain of the fact that it is protected under fair use - but I'd want to avoid the potential argument behind that. I'll make it clear in the title and description, but see what happens otherwise.

ohaple

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have just moved away completely from using anything copyrighted. Even if it is under fair use (like when 6 seconds of background music played in one of my 3 hour livestreams) YouTube's system doesn't care. Steer clear if you can. Theoretically, this is the kind of thing a network should help with, but unless you are a big channel for them they may not give you the time.