Swearing Tourette Syndrome Awareness

SwearingTourettesMan

I have an unusual condition/symptom called coprolalia (swearing Tourette's)- which causes me to blurt out obscenities and inappropriate phrases in public.

I joined YouTube to help battle the misconceptions that people have about Tourette Syndrome and coprolalia.

in Episode 6, I will be answering questions people have about Swearing Tourette's.

I want to make some YouTube connections so we can all boost the popularity of our channels.

Have any questions about coprolalia? Please post them below.

I would also be happy to join any collabs that would be beneficial to us all.

Thank you very much for reading this message.

your videos are very interesting to watch its nice to learn about the different types of Tourette's especially since the swearing one is the most popular topic of controversy by that I mean people saying "they're faking it" but I like the idea of your business cards that I found was really neat and a good way for when you're out in town it'll stop people giving you s**t about it

Thank you, Trichard!

Not everyone is quite as understanding about coprolalia as you are. I hope to increase awareness about this form of Tourette Syndrome.

Does anyone have any questions? For example, people have asked me 'What is going on in your mind when you blurt out an obscenity?"

Please don't hesitate to provide suggestions about future videos.

...and if you are bothered by the swearing, please acknowledge that it is 'involuntary '.

no worries mate
what is it like when you start to have a tick? do you feel it coming on?[DOUBLEPOST=1423978091,1423978008][/DOUBLEPOST]also I am a bit of an a** hole and laughed about when you told the girls in the car "f**k you"

Interesting question, Trichard.

I will surely address that question in Episode 6.

My head is bombarded by inappropriate phrases all the time- these are called 'mental tics'.

However, sometimes a phrase comes out of my mouth so quickly, that even I am surprised, and wonder where the heck it came from.

These tics can have perfect timing. For example, i was watching a movie with my roommates, and every time a character in the movie acted like a jerk, I would say, "He's an a**', or "What a d****"

what happens if you try suppress a tick will it get out of control and you will have like a tick fit where you can't stop ticking?
haha those perfect timing ticks sound alright I mean if everyone is thinking it you'll say it =]
how does Tourette's effect you getting a job?
so

my head is also full of inappropriate things to say all the time and sometimes I will say them for shock humor

Once again, thank you for the questions.

1) What happens if you try to suppress a tic?

The 'premonitory urge' (the urge to perform a tic) varies in intensity. Often (at the greatest intensity)- the tic will just happen, and there's not much you can do about it.

For example, when having the inappropriate motor tic of showing the 'middle finger', if I try to suppress it, I will have severe body tremors, until I actually perform the tic.

2) How does Tourette's affect you in getting a job?

Well.....LOL.....I obviously can't work in a library or a quiet environment. This creates some limitations.

The town councilor where I live (who unfortunately passed away) also suffered from coprolalia, despite being a town councilor!

So I would say, it only restricts your options to a point- people with swearing Tourette's can be just as successful as those without it.

Hi! I'm really clueless about coprolalia and I'm wondering how you got it? I'm going to guess you didn't have this when you were a baby unless your first word was the F word, so around when did it begin? How did it begin? Did it just happen one day or was there an accident that gave you this tourette syndrome?

Hey there, JerdNation. Thank you for the great questions!

You are correct! Although you are born with the genes for coprolalia, it often appears later in life.You might be surprised to hear I lived more than half my life without coprolalia! My first vocal tics appeared when I was 13. The coprolalia appeared when I was 16.Since coprolalia is a 'developmental condition', it usually develops between the ages of 2 and 18.

Now, how did it develop?

I was born with the genes for coprolalia, It was only a matter of time before I started expressing the symptoms.Coprolalia is a bizarre phenomenon- quite a fascinating 'glitch' in the brain.It is natural to have questions about this mysterious condition.Thank you for helping spread awareness about this form of Tourette Syndrome!

I wish you the best of luck with your channel!

Back