Popular Uploads Playlist

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
Do you use the Popular Uploads playlist on your channel? I hadn't in the past as I liked making playlists based on topic (with some overlap) but I started thinking that using the Popular Upload playlist at the top makes sense since it puts your "best" videos right there for new visitors.

I ended up making my own Popular Upload playlist and not using the default one because:
  1. My most viewed video by far is a crappy gear video I made which doesn't really represent my channel or the quality I strive for
  2. One of my shorts comes up in the number three slot and again, not really what I want to highlight
  3. Another mediocre video has a lot of views which all came over the course of one day 9 months after I released it - some kind of algorithm hiccup which yet again is not a video I really want to highlight
Now do you think I'm wrong to skip those videos with the most views even though the quality/theme isn't indicative of my channel? Basically 3 of my 5 most viewed videos aren't ones I want to promote.

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't use it, or at least i think i've turned it off. My reasoning is that most of my viewers are searching for my content, only 0.3% comes from playlists, and of that 100% is through my curated playlists. also my 'best' videos in terms of view counts and watch time, are not ones i would actually be actively promoting myself.

I think for smaller channels like ours, our viewers would probably prefer curated playlists.

I think i'm on a very similar wavelength to yourself.

Reactions: Rhody Seth

OntheWrist

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I recently added one in to my page along with 2 more specific playlists. My thought being that I want new viewers to watch what the internet thinks is my best (or at least most popular) content with the hopes that it gets them to watch more/subscribe. That being said, almost all of my videos are watch product reviews which is a key facet of my channel and the bulk of my content so it is on point with my channel.

Ultimately I don't think it makes much of a difference because viewers aren't really there for the playlists. If your analytics show you get a lot of views from playlists it might make an impact but that is a very low percentage for me.

Do you find a lot of your traffic is from playlists?