Nyan Cat Copyright?

The8BitMonkey

Liking YTtalk
Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted on this forum (sorry about that, been busy) but I hope someone can help me out.

So earlier today I finished making a Minecraft LOL's episode, basically a random video I put out every so often just changing some of the in-game code or using a new feature to making people laugh. This time I went with using the new replaceitem command to cycle through different colored armor and have colored particles flying behind me in a Nyan Cat fashion, to top this off I added the Nyan Cat song on top of it all.

Now it was my understanding that Nyan Cat was a royalty free track that could be used by anyone, I had done some research into it before posting and found numerous people saying it was the case so felt safe uploading it to my channel.

As soon as the video finished processing it popped up with a message on my videos page saying "Matched third party content. Remove claimed song"....this obviously scared me quite a bit but after clicking on the link it came back with the following message.

Here are the details:
"VMP00408YT.mp4", sound recording administered by:
Original Creator ( originalcreator,net )
VOCALOID MUSIC PUBLISHING

Now my question is, is this a bogus claim or is this track indeed a copyrighted track and I was under the wrong impression (as it seems are MANY other people online).

Thank you for your time.

Regards
The8BitMonkey

EDIT: Forgot the word royalty in royalty free

Last edited:
Okay, when I saw that it was administrated by Vocaloid, I would have said it was bogus. Out of the times I heard some of their music, I never seen any relation to Nyan Cat. Until I did some quick research, that is.
By what I have found, the music actually uses the voice of a Vocaloid. The claim probably isn't bogus at all.
htt p:/ /uta u. wikia. com/wiki/Momo_ Momone (remove spaces)
What's the effect? Are they asking you to take down the video, or the music? Will they take ad revenue from the video? If it's free to use, then you should be fine. Generally, if you're allowed to use it, then a claim probably shouldn't have been given. However, from this site, it does say "for non-commercial use only"...
ht tp://mom olabo. lolip op.jp/nya ncats ong/Nyan/Nyan yanyany anyanyany a%21.htm l (remove spaces)

Thank you very much for the speedy reply, it's much appreciated.
So from the sounds of it they're going to allow the video to remain up and will take ad revenue from it, i'm fine with this in all honesty as it's just a video for a bit of fun, just not to happy about a content claim on my channel. I guess I could take it down which would solve that but then I have very little to show for the stress I had getting the video together.

Thank you also for the links to the site as well, with all the links to Nyan Cat related content online I failed to come across that one for the "for non-commercial use only" statement.

I guess i'll just acknowledge the claim and leave the video live, as long as it's not going to kill my channel or cause me any issues with my network or future networks (hoping to get with Curse) then I happy enough :)

Thanks again :)

Whether they do or don't own it isn't really the issue..

You for sure don't own it so you don't have any right to upload or make money from it.

I seemed to have forgotten 1 word in my original post (fixed now), I was under the impression Nyan Cat song was royalty free (creative commons), which would give me and anyone else the right to use it, but that does not seem to be the case.

I don't have the time to research it but I seem to recall that there are two different versions. One might be royalty free and the other might not be.

Looks like any version that uses the Vocaloid lyrics will fall into the same situation but there are many versions out there that are recreations for the background music like 8bit versions, I might have come up with a solution but only time will tell.

Also would love if you could change the audio on videos already uploaded with your own music instead of the ones YouTube offers you....so you dont lose views and such.

Back