Multiple Topics

Joel95__

Reaction score
Hello,

Im Joel and want to create content about many things I am interested in including Educational Scientific "the effects of coffee and other foods on the brain, Historical Music based on the stories of historical musicians Brams and such, Japanese film production, business, science and company history, Engineering and electronics. However I'm finding it so hard to narrow it down to one fixed topic and it seems so impossible for me to do this.

Can I still interest an audience if I create such topics? Or it will just be Confusing?

Regards,

Joel

Attachments

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Hello,

Im Joel and want to create content about many things I am interested in including Educational Scientific "the effects of coffee and other foods on the brain, Historical Music based on the stories of historical musicians Brams and such, Japanese film production, business, science and company history, Engineering and electronics. However I'm finding it so hard to narrow it down to one fixed topic and it seems so impossible for me to do this.

Can I still interest an audience if I create such topics? Or it will just be Confusing?

Regards,

Joel

It can work if you choose interesting topics and, more importantly, you are good at telling stories. Check out Tom Scott's channel ( https://www.youtube.com/user/enyay/videos ) Notice how he has videos on a wide range of unrelated topics but they are all interesting stories and he's an excellent story-teller who does a lot of research. Maybe you could analyse his channel and try to reverse engineer why he is so successful. IMHO, it's not so much the topic, it's more how he executes the idea.

Reactions: Joel95__

ThriftyAV

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
You mention gaining an audience. If this is your main goal, you will need to narrow your focus. Put yourself in the mind of a viewer. If a fan of Japanese film production clicks on your video about that topic, and they like your video, most likely they will browse your other videos. If they like something else, you may get another view and maybe a subscribe, but if none of your other videos cover a shared interest, all you get is the one view.

Yes, there are exceptions. Excellent storytellers and entertainers can gain an audience even with diverse content, but these channels are more personality driven than content driven. It's not impossible, but it will likely take longer for such a channel to grow than one with a content theme.

I have personally struggled with broadness of my "A/V" theme. The folks who want to see my videos about Super8 film transfers might not care about wireless microphones, etc. As my channel has grown, I have gained a few subscribers who will watch regardless of my video topic, but this is a minority. Most my views still come from search and discovery.

If you are worried about getting bored creating content that falls under a single theme, you might consider TWO channels, one dedicated to a single interest that you could spread over many videos, and another where you explore your various other interests.

Reactions: Joel95__

Joel95__

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your in depth responses. I will consider the different options you have mentioned.

Joel

Reactions: Crown