Minimum Viable Product for a YouTube Video

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I recently made a YouTube short and it sort of changed the way I think of making YouTube videos.
If you don't already know, shorts are 60 second
YouTube videos recorded in vertical format. When I created my short, I had to tell a whole story in 60 seconds, beginning, middle, end. It really forced me to know what the point of the story was and the exact points I cared the most about.

I haven't made another short since then, but when I make my longer form content I find it helps to come up with a 60 second version of my story and then I can add details to it if need be.

In videogame design there's this idea of Minimum Viable Product. The smallest form of your game you could make to start testing and getting the feel for how the game will play. If the MVP doesn't work then chances are the whole game is not going to be good. I think this is the MVP method but for story telling. If the story isn't interesting when told in under 60 seconds, maybe it's to complicated for the "general public" lol at least for my recent style of story telling. If you want to see the video where I first learned about MVP check out the video from this game design channel. [1616383081616.png VIDEO LINK HERE]

I mainly create what the YouTube community refers to as "story time" vlogs, but I think this same concept can help in other content types. Creating a 60 second review of a movie will make sure you know what you care about the most. 60 second physic edutainment lesson allows you to condense it down to the most interesting points. Then from there you can add details and parts that you feel still need to be included.

Hope that helps someone.