Low Audience Retention = Less Money?

Lonnie

Let's say you have two videos that are both 3 minutes long and each has 5000 views, one has an average retention of 20% the other 80%, do you make more money on the one with 80% percent average or do you make the exact same amount on both? Does higher retention lead to more earnings?

I've never heard anything about audience retention having an impact on earnings, and always assumed it was just so I could monitor the popularity of my videos. But now that you mention it, I'm not sure... :p

Let's say you have two videos that are both 3 minutes long and each has 5000 views, one has an average retention of 20% the other 80%, do you make more money on the one with 80% percent average or do you make the exact same amount on both? Does higher retention lead to more earnings?

It has no effect. As long as they watch enough of the video to be considered a real view, the view is monetisable. Anything less than (I think) perhaps 20 seconds is classed as a non-monetisable view (as well as any views from people with Ad Block etc). But what I mean is they don't have to watch say, all of it or most of it.

I've heard audience retention affects your CPM. If true, it's probably because a higher audience retention means viewers are paying more attention to your video, and thus are paying attention before your video when the ad is playing (because they're getting in the mode to pay attention to you).

Some networks run ads at the end of videos. So yes, I't can affect the CPM.

Videos with high retention are scheduled with better paying ads. This happens on the mothership network backend. Companies are more willing to bid higher for videos with good retention than ones viewers click away from quickly.

Back