Looking for advice on slo mo

Itstonybaby

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hello everyone! My first post on this forum. I’m still very new to the world of vloggin, and I’m learning as I go. There is one thing I have been struggling with...

Other vloggers seem to be very organized when they shoot, they know the footage they’re gonna get, and they plan it all out. I’m not there yet, and with the type of vlogging we are doing (travel vlogs) it’s hard to plan things out. My struggle is with what frame rate to shoot in. I understand how important it is to get that “cinematic“ look, by shooting at 24fps and a shutter speed of 1/48. My most recent batch of uploads were mostly done that way, and they turned out okay.

Its the slow motion I’m struggling with. I don’t always know if I want to shoot slo mo or not, and many pieces of footage I shot I wished I had shot them in slo mo (60 or 120 fp). Now, I could shoot ALL my footage at 60fps or 120fps, but that takes up a lot more storage space and you lose that cinematic look as there’s no natural motion blur.

for those of you that do use cinematic slow motion in your videos, is there something I can do to get over this, or do I just simply need to choose to shoot my normal footage at 24fps and shoot separate slo mo at a higher frame rate? I thought of shooting everything at 60fps with a shutter speed of 1/120 and dropping it in a 24fps edit in FCPX. But what would the footage look like? Would it still look choppy because of the dropped frames?

Thanks to anyone that can give me advice!

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi, I have experimented with this
1 vlogging ill record 24fps & if slow mo needed will do 60 & slow it in post to 40% (to match 24fps), video will be 24fps export
2 will just do 60fps for whole video & can slow any clip by 50% & can export as 30 or 60fps video
some cameras have customization profiles that you can quickly switch between so can program 1 for 24 & other for 60

Itstonybaby

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
thanks for the reply, mirrorlessNY. Your first option is what I’m doing now, shooting what I need at both 24 or 60 for slo mo.

I have a question about your second option:
when you do shoot at 60fps, what do you set your shutter speed at? And when you drop that 60fps into a 24FPS edit, how does that look once you render it out?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
60fps is the easiest to use as there is no distraction/confusion with switching things, shutter at 1/125th
I would not export 60fps clips as 24fps video, 30 yes but not 24, I would do a 24fps video with 60fps clips only if I plan to slow 60fps clips to 40%

whats your channel, can I see?