Is monetizing covers possible on YT?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I use two or three computer composition software suites myself; but none of them is notation software. Two produce Generative Music, and one creates Fractal Music; and all output to MIDI files. An example of my output is linked below without the http part.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Rz7hjXvMB4
I think that sounds different enough from something being computer-generated! :) If the video is only posted on one of your accounts, and if the music and/or video clip isn't being reused all the time, I don't think there should be anything wrong with it! ^_^

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I think that sounds different enough from something being computer-generated! :) If the video is only posted on one of your accounts, and if the music and/or video clip isn't being reused all the time, I don't think there should be anything wrong with it! ^_^
This is to date, the only video of this composition on YouTube, and it is on a former Paid Content channel with only 5 subscribers.

The visuals are from the music visualization programme Plane 9; and at that time were rather hard to capture. The developer of the app allows commercial use if you make a direct request. These are not followiing the music because I captured at one point in time, several of the visualizers without music playing, in the hopes of being able to use them for several different videos; which I have done over multiple channels.

In the light of the new rules, that was a mistake; and though I cannot hope for "mercy" from YouTube on that point, I will take my chances rather than take down the videos and possibly lose watch time.

I also have used the same video clip over several videos when I make music or tone set "series". I've already decided what I will do if/when I am demonetized though, as I've stated before.

The reason my most viewed videos are so, is because my viewers love the content. I've found playlist after playlist containing my hypnosis, binaural beats and tone sets, and my music. There are even auto-generated topic channels for the "band names" I've adopted as a music artist. They will continue to make me money even if I am demonetized by YouTube, as will the same videos on my music distributor's channel.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

Babioso

Reaction score
@KatyAdelson @Cynath

You cannot successfully monetize a channel based on cover songs at this point in time, period. I'm going to say something now which will either discourage a lot of people, or make them very angry. For this I apologize, but this is the current truth of YouTube.

If you have no capacity to create original media, but must rely on third party content such as gameplay videos (especially if they are created after mobile games), covers of commercially available music, edits of commercially broadcast sports events, Top 10 videos (even if you create them yourself), concerts recorded from the audience (a major copyright violation), or other non-original material and media...

Don't bother to create a YouTube channel with the intent to monetize such content. Your application to the YouTube Partner Program will FAIL; and in some cases, your channel will be terminated upon review.

In October of 2018, YouTube adopted the Adsense Content Guidelines; which state that all web sites and media presented for monetization must be both original and unique to the creator, adding value thereby to the internet at large.

Unfortunately this is in diametric opposition to Mainstream Broadcast Media, which industry does reuse of content on a massive scale. But it is YouTube's game, and we have only two choices...

Play the game, or leave the site; I may well do the latter by the end of this year.
What a load of tosh.

My channel is covers only, just me and an acoustic guitar.

I applied for the partner program this month after meeting the requirements and was approved in 3 days. Already have been making money.

What upsets me is that this misinformed OPINION might be read by people googling about the topic and discourage them from starting or applying.

Don't speak about things you have no clue about - it's hurtful.