is it true the more subs/views you get the less you make?

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
using numbers here as an example.

so say at 2k subs you make 300 a month from ad clicks.
down the road you grow and now at 50,000 subs. is it true your adsense is still more or less the same? say from 300 a month to 500 a month. not much of a change from 2k subs @ 300 a month to 50k subs to 500 a month.

reason I ask is, I am collabing with my buddies dirtbike channel and we were discussing how much we make. he has triple about of subs I have and noticed the payout isnt much different when he was at 1k sub vs 3k subs. slightly higher, but the ratio seems a lot less.

as an example, you get more per click per ad, but as you get more views, your click per ad goes down a lot. say you start off 25 cents per a click, eventually when you reach, I dont know 100k your click per ad goes to like .005 cents keeping it almost the same.

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Subs doesn't matter as much as views. He might have a lot of old dead subs or his quality is lower than yours.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Subs doesn't matter as much as views. He might have a lot of old dead subs or his quality is lower than yours.

I dont care about subs but they usually reflect views. we are not one of those with 2k subs and 50 views. yes its all about views, i mean thats how you generate revenue I know that.

I do have higher quality, and most of my videos reach thousands of views within a few months, and many even reaching 10k+ some start at slow @ 200 - 300 but within a few months, I check back at them and they eventually will reach 1000+ so all my videos are still being actively watched with some exceptions to older ones.

but thats not the point and im not comparing which channel makes more, im talking about him personally, I was not really comparing. He never saw a huge increase in revenue from 1k to 3k subs and his views also been going significantly up since we started collabing. He assumes maybe the click per ads get smaller and smaller as you grow, thats what I am trying to find out, because we are growing. I guess there is no way to tell until I get there myself.

Last edited:

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yep you earn less with fewer subs. That's why you see all the successful youtube channels encouraging viewers to "click unsubscribe, and unclick that bell"

Sorry for the sarcasm. I couldn't resist it :D

It's certainly an interesting question. In short - per my research at least - the answer is no.
That havig been said, it would be interesting to know what is behind what you and your mate are experienceng. There's somethinng else at play.
What about engagement - are people watching all or just part of his vids?

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
If you suddenly start getting a lot of views from, for example, Cambodia - your vid goes viral there for some reason, maybe you visited the country, recorded a wild ride on one of their courses and it got traction cuz of that, those views will surely pay significantly less than US, UK, Germany and other higher-paying countries. India is notorious for this - it's got a massive population and you can sometimes get a lot of views from there for this and that reason, but the ad rates are usually atrocious.

Reactions: LandyVlad

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yep you earn less with fewer subs. That's why you see all the successful youtube channels encouraging viewers to "click unsubscribe, and unclick that bell"

Sorry for the sarcasm. I couldn't resist it :D

It's certainly an interesting question. In short - per my research at least - the answer is no.
That havig been said, it would be interesting to know what is behind what you and your mate are experiencing. There's something else at play.
What about engagement - are people watching all or just part of his vids?

so in essence, your click per ad rate should roughly stay the same no matter the size of your channel/views and therefore, you should be making more as you get more views over time?
I am not sure what his retention rate is but I make about the same as him, not complaining its a good amount for a small channel, but the fact that he said he is making the same when he
was at 1k subs vs now at 3k subs plus has much more views now kind of baffles me.

I know its a small number vs say someone at 100k sub vs 3k subs. but I am questioning this cant be, how can someone who is at 100k subs make the same more or less in adsense revenue vs someone at 1k subs unless it is true what he says (given the subs reflect the views which usually does on true channels), you click per ad rate goes down as you get more views therefore, making less money % wise.

has anyone on here have any experience with this? someone on here who maybe had 1k subs at one point of time and now at say 100k? would like to see some feedback on who has gone through this. Just would like to know if ad revenue stayed roughly the same at 1k vs 10k or even 100k

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Past 1k subs, which is minimum to get monetized, subs don't matter at all. All it matters is your CPM, which is affected by dozens of factors.

I've noticed my CPM slightly growing ever since I hit that viral video back in March/April, I've heard/read somewhere that channels with more views typically get BETTER ad rates because the advertisers are more willing to spend a bit more on an established channel instead of a bunch of small, unknown channels that get 100 views/day. Again, this is a rumour, but it proves it's all about those damn CPMs, which are different for everyone based on your unique audience profile.

Reactions: LandyVlad