Impulse buy, worth it?

ItsTehShadow

YTtalk's Purple Enthusiast!
YAY first thread :D

EDIT* Not sure if this is the right section now, might need to be moved to Chillout but its about YouTube, move it if it needs to be :confused:

Anyway, I got an Amazon coupon code from a competion today, giving me £25 off anything. I've been looking for a new mic for awhile, not just for YouTube but for use on Teamspeak etc. Getting fed up of my little headset mic that catches every noise under the sun.

I'd been looking at the Blue Snowball mic for some time as a cheap but good condenser microphone, and more recently the iCE due to its lower price. I was close to ordering the iCE yesterday but saw Amazon's delivery time as 1-2mths :eek:. I therefore went back towards the Snowball which has risen in price recently to about £80 (which is crazy). I went to order it about 20 minutes ago and saw that the Blue Microphone Yeti was only £76 and with my code £51. As I see it the Yeti is like the professional one compared to the snowball and iCE.

To cut a long story short, I've ordered the Yeti mic for £51 and looking around it's usually about £130 so I think I've got a pretty sweet deal. Do you think it was worth it getting a mic like this when I'm still a bit poor at commentating. Going to be doing a lot more videos, so this will keep me going forever more (unless it breaks) and also help me improve over time. Anyone got or had this mic and has some feedback, also any views on a pop filter?

TLDR; Bought Blue Microphone Yeti mic for £51, quite new to commentating but will be doing more and will use for other things, was it worth it or was it just an impulse buy and I could have done better with a cheaper one? Anyone used it before / views on a pop filter?

The Yeti is a fabulous Mic, but bear in mind the Yeti picks up lots of noise as well. This isn't a bad thing (the best kind of mic is one that picks up small sounds without background hissing), but you need to learn to adjust your settings, purchase a Pop Filter and it'll be a splendid piece of hardware. John and Ken (VOTM winners) use the Yeti.

I intend on buying the yeti one day. The mic I have now is good for gameplays but requires a lot of editing to remove the loud hum of my PC in the back ground (PC is only a few inch from me) but I think the yeti and snowball have become the affordable gaming standard on youtube with how many gamers use and recommend them so I say its worth it. But like Frankie said get a Pop Filter, they're only cheap but help a lot.

The Yeti is a fabulous Mic, but bear in mind the Yeti picks up lots of noise as well. This isn't a bad thing (the best kind of mic is one that picks up small sounds without background hissing), but you need to learn to adjust your settings, purchase a Pop Filter and it'll be a splendid piece of hardware. John and Ken (VOTM winners) use the Yeti.

I'm fine with it picking up noises, its just my current one is so close to my mouth I had to edit out breathing and loads of crackling. With a stand mic it shouldn't need to get as close hopefully :)

You will love the Yeti.. We use it.. and love it.

Nice to hear that my lighter pockets were for a good reason :D

I intend on buying the yeti one day. The mic I have now is good for gameplays but requires a lot of editing to remove the loud hum of my PC in the back ground (PC is only a few inch from me) but I think the yeti and snowball have become the affordable gaming standard on youtube with how many gamers use and recommend them so I say its worth it. But like Frankie said get a Pop Filter, they're only cheap but help a lot.

Yeh I had a loud hum on some of my recordings before I removed it, bit of pain :)

And it seems that a pop filter will help so I'll have a look around.

As another thing, is any pop filter good. Some look really cheap at like £5 and it sounds a bit too cheap for such a thing

All I can say is congrats on picking it up for £51!! I picked mine up for around £90 with free next day delivery (new) and I love it!! quality is amazing!

Back