I gotta question about these related channels...I don't get it

Tryezz

Member
Greets y'all,
First off, It's definitely been a while since I've made a post here on YTTalk. I hope y'all are well.
I figured this would be a good place to post this interesting issue.

On my channel, I post my own original music. Primarily instrumental Funk, Jazz, Electronic, etc. based grooves. Music video performances, releases, etc. Music to clear the mind to.

However, my current list of related channels mostly contain people and content that are the direct opposite of what my channel is. ----> Dudes talking about racial issues ?? Don't want to name any channels to promote them, but you can look and see what I'm talking about. Especially the top dude.

The channels I'm subbed to on youtube are mainly other music and dance channels as that what I like to watch. Does anybody have any ideas about this and how to change it?

Much thanks in advance.
Bless up. Stay cool.
 
What do you watch on youtube?
It could affect that

Or it could be you are listed on people and vlogs which is quite broad
 
I watch other music and dance related videos. Boiler Room, Yakfilms, etc.
The last thing I watch are what's on these channels.

As far as the channel itself, it is listed as a music channel. Youtube was getting it right there for a brief minute with having channels like Majestic Casual pop up. But it only lasted a day or two. But these channels have been there for a while.
 
Related channels doesn't often appears because of same contact.
Some times they appear as well if you had subscribe to them, or you were watching their videos for a while.
 
Some times they appear as well if you had subscribe to them, or you were watching their videos for a while.
He already stated twice he doesn't watch those channels. Please read before you comment.

Personally I don't know what the algo is for related channels. I assume it is mostly influence by the category they are in and how popular the channels are at the moment. So it could be that the racial issue channel is in the wrong category and is currently viewed by a lot of people, thus popping up on your related section.
 
Hmm...maybe so. I don't know what's going on. I'm tempted to remove the whole section all together. But if I do that, then it lowers the chances of my channel being found.

Some weird stuff...weird and ironic.
 
Well here's what's showing up for me for your video 2 weeks ago "Rolling Clouds"

It's pretty much music stuff, which is correct, as your channel is music, and this is my first visit to such a channel. There's also Stephen Colbert making fun of DT, that's because I watch him every day. There's also 1 vid from a toy channel (which I watch), and something abouts darts (which I never watch nor care about so it's a hail mary placement).

The suggested is made up of several considerations, the most important is what will give the viewer the best viewing experience and longest view session. There are some personal tailored placements, and overall placements across the category. What you are getting when logged in with your account and your viewing history is different to what others get - but there will be some crossover. Because I never watched the style of videos as your one with this account and ip address, the sidebar is full of similar videos because the algo is suddenly going "Wow, KiddieToysReview in interested in music videos" let's show more and learn about this new behaviour. Something like that....

Untitled.jpg
 
Hmm... I've noticed that the list of related channels tend to be either channels I've subscribed to and / or liked videos from, or common channels that my viewers have subscribed to. If you haven't subscribed / liked / watched their channels, perhaps your viewers have? This is all speculation, as I have no idea how those channels are selected...
 
Well here's what's showing up for me for your video 2 weeks ago "Rolling Clouds"

It's pretty much music stuff, which is correct, as your channel is music, and this is my first visit to such a channel. There's also Stephen Colbert making fun of DT, that's because I watch him every day. There's also 1 vid from a toy channel (which I watch), and something abouts darts (which I never watch nor care about so it's a hail mary placement).

The suggested is made up of several considerations, the most important is what will give the viewer the best viewing experience and longest view session. There are some personal tailored placements, and overall placements across the category. What you are getting when logged in with your account and your viewing history is different to what others get - but there will be some crossover. Because I never watched the style of videos as your one with this account and ip address, the sidebar is full of similar videos because the algo is suddenly going "Wow, KiddieToysReview in interested in music videos" let's show more and learn about this new behaviour. Something like that....

The suggested videos are cool. No issues there. It's the related channels that I'm talking about. It's the related channels that show up on the channels homepage that say they are similar to yours.


Hmm... I've noticed that the list of related channels tend to be either channels I've subscribed to and / or liked videos from, or common channels that my viewers have subscribed to. If you haven't subscribed / liked / watched their channels, perhaps your viewers have? This is all speculation, as I have no idea how those channels are selected...

I don't either. It used to not be an issue. I was thinking the same thing though. I wonder who is watching...
I'm going to continue to look and see what happens. If it doesn't change here soon, I might just have to remove it all together. I hope I don't have to do that.
 
So I connected some dots:
So I'm subbed a famous dancer called Mr. Wiggles. One of the related channels suggested on my channel has a NSFW podcast called...wouldn't you guess it..."Mr.Wiggles". And also has a secondary channel called "Electric Boogaloo"...which also happens to be the name of a famous dance group that Mr. Wiggles (the dancer) happens to be in.

While his channel seems to be more edgy social commentary, I imagine that some of his subs are also subscribed to some of the other related channels that are showing up.

Because one of my main demographics is dancers, I think youtube's algo got it mixed up. Who would've thought...
Both odd and ironic. I'm going to still keep watching it. I hope they get it right soon.
 
Back
Top