How to record console gameplay with a DVD recorder and a laptop without capture card

Alex Bolton

Pro Youtuber
Reaction score
Tutorial:

This is a trick i worked out. I didn't test it until after the tutorial :). But it works nice.

Better Result:

If it works subscribe since it will help.

ViciousXUSMC

Master Viking
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
First I applaud you for thinking outside the box. That kind of creative thinking can get you somewhere in life.

However with all due respect this tutorial is like teaching somebody how to cut down a tree with a steak knife.

- Yes it will work, but it will never work good and there are many more preferred ways to do it that you have little to no reason not to employ.

Going on the assumption your goal is to avoid a capture card thus allowing you to use a laptop to capture there are many fair priced external capture devices.

Two of the most preferred are theHauppauge HD-PVR: http://amzn.to/HK2bwd
and the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle: http://amzn.to/GLzbSW

Let me run you by a few major issues.

DVD is ~480P max, you were using a HD console so you already lose the capability to record to 720P with your method.

Once you put the material on the computer you had to re-encode it from DVD format to more common computer format with that converter. Doing this takes both time and causes loss of quality in your video.

Should you then decide to do any editing on that footage and bring it into an editor, when you get done and render that new footage you would lose quality AGAIN. Your final result will be horrid.

When it comes to cost a DVD recorder is not going to be much cheaper than the two devices I mentioned, then you would have to buy all those adapters, and a constant blank dvd supply. It's not so much the cost that makes your method so bad to use, nor the quality problem. It's the workflow. If you wanted to produce videos on any regular basis this method of capture, converting, etc would become so tedious that you would soon hate it and no matter what your budget was or is you will quickly find the value in a proper capture device.

So from a creativity standpoint I get you props, from a efficiency, productivity, or usefulness standpoint this is a major fail and should be marketed in a way so that people know that this is more for fun than something they really should take the time and effort to do.

Alex Bolton

Pro Youtuber
Reaction score
First I applaud you for thinking outside the box. That kind of creative thinking can get you somewhere in life.

However with all due respect this tutorial is like teaching somebody how to cut down a tree with a steak knife.

- Yes it will work, but it will never work good and there are many more preferred ways to do it that you have little to no reason not to employ.

Going on the assumption your goal is to avoid a capture card thus allowing you to use a laptop to capture there are many fair priced external capture devices.

Two of the most preferred are theHauppauge HD-PVR: http://amzn.to/HK2bwd
and the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle: http://amzn.to/GLzbSW

Let me run you by a few major issues.

DVD is ~480P max, you were using a HD console so you already lose the capability to record to 720P with your method.

Once you put the material on the computer you had to re-encode it from DVD format to more common computer format with that converter. Doing this takes both time and causes loss of quality in your video.

Should you then decide to do any editing on that footage and bring it into an editor, when you get done and render that new footage you would lose quality AGAIN. Your final result will be horrid.

When it comes to cost a DVD recorder is not going to be much cheaper than the two devices I mentioned, then you would have to buy all those adapters, and a constant blank dvd supply. It's not so much the cost that makes your method so bad to use, nor the quality problem. It's the workflow. If you wanted to produce videos on any regular basis this method of capture, converting, etc would become so tedious that you would soon hate it and no matter what your budget was or is you will quickly find the value in a proper capture device.

So from a creativity standpoint I get you props, from a efficiency, productivity, or usefulness standpoint this is a major fail and should be marketed in a way so that people know that this is more for fun than something they really should take the time and effort to do.
I thank uoi for your feedback.
My goal was to find a cheap way to record gameplay which worked very well. If people have blu-ray DVD-RW recorders they could get HD but they are more expensive. So the goal of the video was to find a way to record WATCHABLE gameplay from and console without spending money.

Alex