How do you do voice overs

TheEzeJC

I have been looking into doing voice overs for some type of videos, but I don’t know whether I should record my voice first and edit elements later, or the opposite; make video first then voice over. I’ve tried both and I’m having no luck organizing when I script.

For us I think it depends on what video you are doing. If it is a live video then record it at the same time. If it is a voice over after recording I would edit the video first then add the voice over after. Hope that makes sense!

In my editting software kdenlive I can add a voice over track to my editted project. There is a seperate mixing board and will play the project in the monitor.

I'd imagine doing the voice over first and then trying to record video for it would be difficult. Unless you have a story board and a good idea of what footage you are looking for. However, there are always last minute changes and I you might have to redo some sections of voice to fit what you were able to film. Then you run into an issue of doing voice overs on seperate occasions and some levels or conditions to the voice might change.

Here's what I'd suggest to get you started.
1. Record video
2. Rough edit, making sure you leave enough time to say what you are going to need to say for that part of the video.
3. Record voice over.
4. Final edit / re-record portions of voice over as needed.

My $0.02 less tax :)

Like LandyVlad, I generally I do a rough edit, voice record, final edit.
If there is something really important I need to say, I may record that part first, work it into the rough edit, then the rest of the voice over, and final edit. I do plan on doing voice overs so I tend to record a little extra footage, to give me more leeway in my talk time. I almost script it in my head as I film, then wait 20-30 seconds before I stop recording. I would rather trim some off than not have enough. It is not like we are using film.

Back