Dynamic aspect ratio

Thomas Wade

Youtube recently updated their video player to include a dynamic aspect ratio for their theatre mode viewer. They however did not add the feature to the normal player. I'm glad they copied vimeo and added it, but creators are not aware about it and music videos and trailers routinely are still exported and uploaded in 16:9 despite their true aspect ratio being something close to 2.35:1. I use a 21:9 widescreen monitor and it is frustrating to see videos be extremely letterboxed due to an error by a creator. Is there any way that youtube would implement a feature where portions of a video that only display black pixels, will be cropped?

Youtube recently updated their video player to include a dynamic aspect ratio for their theatre mode viewer. They however did not add the feature to the normal player. I'm glad they copied vimeo and added it, but creators are not aware about it and music videos and trailers routinely are still exported and uploaded in 16:9 despite their true aspect ratio being something close to 2.35:1. I use a 21:9 widescreen monitor and it is frustrating to see videos be extremely letterboxed due to an error by a creator. Is there any way that youtube would implement a feature where portions of a video that only display black pixels, will be cropped?

Moved to the YouTube main forum. :)
(The YTtalk support/suggestions forum is specifically for YTtalk forum support, not YouTube support. )

Back