Did anyone recieve this self rating questionary? what do I do? cant monetize until I answer (worried it has impact on how much vid gets recommended)

talky

Reaction score

This is crazy, we have to fill this each time we upload now?

And what do I even reply? For instance, I have a character from Roblox with a mod that has guns and they shoot, and there's small blood pixels for like 30 seconds out of a 15 minute video, do I really have to say its "mild violence"? sounds ridiculous to me. It says it will still show ads, but I don't want to mark it as "mild violence" because im paranoid this will hinder how much it gets recommended (generally I would assume "family friendly" content gets the higher chances at being recommended, and it's not conspiracy the fact that videos get throttled, see p-score controversy). Last thing I need is work my a** for weeks in a video and then have it throttled because I click on some box.

So yeah, im considering just pressing a button that says "none of the above" and be done with it because I want to release the video already and it wouldn't let me until I answer all those questions. The rest of the stuff definitely doesn't impact me, im just worried about the violence part because there's a gun and some minecrafty red square blocks which are supposedly blood.. seems a bit silly to me to claim its literally "mild violence" but who knows with this nonsense rules. What's the worst that can happen? I assume they will not give you a strike unless it was obviously missleading and its the first video I've ever seen this being asked to me, but in my case I think im fine claiming none of the above applies. Geez dealing with Youtube is increasingly annoying. There's always some bs going on. I just want to relax and be creative and not have to deal with these things like back in the day.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've had that questionnaire. My content is family-friendly, so it was easy for me to answer the questions, but it is trickier for other types of content. It's basically a self-assessment test to see if you can be honest about whether or not you should monetize a video based on YouTube's monetization guidelines. I believe your answers are checked by Google (probably a bot?), and if it agrees with your answers, then I think your account gets more autonomy for enabling or disabling monetization on a video.

I would answer it from the perspective that someone else is going to verify the answers. I'd lean more conservative about things....I suspect they are looking to build honesty and trust more than demonetizing all of your content.

I think this video talks about it more:

Reactions: Crown

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
The way I see it (and obviously I don't know what goes on in the minds of those who matter at YT) this is a way of finding a balance between blanket yes/no bans of certain content. On balance I suspect its a good thing.

For example I run a firearms advertising (very) small business.

This compartmentalisation means that while the channel I will create for my business will not be suitable for monetisation (a shame) at least it won't be banned as some sort of blanket rule.

I'd expect it won't ever appear in suggested videos either, but since it won't be monetised I don't really care.

The primary channel content for me will be videos explaining to customers how to use various aspects of the site and so on.

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah, been getting those a long time. I got a popup recently saying my self ratings have been found to be very accurate, so my approvals will be faster.

I know my vids, and the rules, so it is super easy. On some I scroll down to profanity, and say there is light usage (still ad friendly). On some I scroll down and say it has some sensitive issues, like discussing the lockdown in my area (still ad friendly). Mostly I click none of the above. In any case it only 5-10 seconds to the uploading process. It really is not a problem.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the monetization forum. :)