Covering Songs and Monetizing. Does anybody know an answer yet?

Ehzool

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I have done research for years now. Policies keep changing and parterships keep offering different plans.
I am a musician on Youtube who covers songs just like other big Youtubers do.
On a test channel, I uploaded a cover video of mine and it got detected for 3rd party content but I was given the option to check "This is a cover" in the box.
A day later, my video is now monetized. A green $ symbol appears.
It seems amazing, that I monetized that video WITHOUT being in a partnership.

-Does this mean I can cover any song now and monetize it WITHOUT being in a partnership? (Like Fullscreen)

-What is the percentage I get and the copyright owner gets?

-Is there an official Youtube article ANYWHERE that goes into full detail on monetizing cover songs on Youtube?

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Per Google policy, you will be sharing those funds with the owners:
Monetizing eligible cover videos
Creators participating in the YouTube Partner Program can now share in the revenue from eligible cover song videos on YouTube, once those videos are claimed by music publisher owners. You will be paid revenue for these videos on a pro rata basis.

But not every song is eligible...

How to determine if your cover song video is eligible for monetization
You'll know you can share in revenue from a cover song video when you see this message next to the video in your Monetization tab: “Monetize my video. This is my cover of a song written by somebody else. Learn more”

This message will appear for videos that have been claimed through the Content ID system by the music publisher(s) who own(s) the copyright in the musical composition performed. Both new uploads and prior uploads may be eligible, so you can also see if your prior cover song video uploads are eligible by looking in the YouTube Video Manager.

Please note, some specific songs have not been enabled for this feature by their copyright owner(s), so this may not appear for certain claimed cover videos. Other circumstances where videos are not eligible for this revenue share opportunity include:

• Videos that contain a commercial sound recording, such as an instrumental or karaoke recording
  • Videos of live concert performances

Ehzool

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Per Google policy, you will be sharing those funds with the owners:
Monetizing eligible cover videos
Creators participating in the YouTube Partner Program can now share in the revenue from eligible cover song videos on YouTube, once those videos are claimed by music publisher owners. You will be paid revenue for these videos on a pro rata basis.

But not every song is eligible...

How to determine if your cover song video is eligible for monetization
You'll know you can share in revenue from a cover song video when you see this message next to the video in your Monetization tab: “Monetize my video. This is my cover of a song written by somebody else. Learn more”

This message will appear for videos that have been claimed through the system by the music publisher(s) who own(s) the copyright in the musical composition performed. Both new uploads and prior uploads may be eligible, so you can also see if your prior cover song video uploads are eligible by looking in the YouTube .

Please note, some specific songs have not been enabled for this feature by their copyright owner(s), so this may not appear for certain claimed cover videos. Other circumstances where videos are not eligible for this revenue share opportunity include:

• Videos that contain a commercial sound recording, such as an instrumental or karaoke recording
  • Videos of live concert performances
I've read that before so it seems as though it's possible. So what is the point of Partnerships like Fullscreen? I'm in Fullscreen right now so I can cover songs. However, like 70% goes to Fullscreen. What a rip off when I can just do it myself with YouTube

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've read that before so it seems as though it's possible. So what is the point of Partnerships like Fullscreen? I'm in Fullscreen right now so I can cover songs. However, like 70% goes to Fullscreen. What a rip off when I can just do it myself with YouTube
You're preaching to the choir. I personally have no use for a multi-channel network. In my view, they are just farming people for their views. If you just partner directly with YouTube and use Adsense you cut out the middleman. YouTube has done a lot to make themselves more competitive with multichannel networks.

Dorin

Reaction score
It seems amazing, that I monetized that video WITHOUT being in a partnership.
-Does this mean I can cover any song now and monetize it WITHOUT being in a partnership? (Like Fullscreen)
-What is the percentage I get and the copyright owner gets?
-Is there an official Youtube article ANYWHERE that goes into full detail on monetizing cover songs on Youtube?
- you do not need a partnership to monetize a cover
- the percentage for a cover is 5 times smaller than for an original song (80% goes to the creator) - this is just an observation, youtube did not publish pro rata percentages or creator list or tunes names -we are working in the dark here (you may get a strike from Tom Jones or Bryan Adams and you get a reject from David Gilmore of Shakira)
We should make here a list - in fact I will start the list right now on a new thread