copyrighted covers???

SOCKS

The cool kids around the block
My partner and I run a music channel where we cover popular songs, in our own style of course. But one song, You and I, we loved so much, we decided to cover it as it is. I recorded all the instrumentals and even added a slight countermelody buy youtube still recognized it as the original song? Will I be able to prove that its my creation or will I have to take it down?

The topic of legality regarding song covers is a big one, and I find it a little too hard to actually say something about. So my advise is to read a lot on in, because there are some good articles written by professionals that can help you figuring out how to protect yourself, and know where the border is in terms of legality.

Yeah, the thing about cover songs is that they're not protected under fair use. You still need the proper licensing to do them, with the notable exception of parody (using the original composition in some amount to make fun of the original composition.). Song copyright is a little of column A (the written composition of the song) and a little of column B (the recorded performance itself). As I recall, Fullscreen and Maker Studios both have some kind of arrangement with some of the big music publishers regarding cover songs and licensing so it might be worth asking them about it.

Back