Copyright questions.

Jenny Lynne

"To live would be an awfully big adventure"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Where is the line drawn with copyright? I see posts with challenges of naming all the pokemon, a pokemon picture in the thumbnail or corner of the video. (If they draw the picture, is it more okay?) Tags where people talk about their favorite shows, or read clips from books. And then there are making costumes of favorite characters.

What is copyright okay? What isn't okay with an ad, but is okay without? Or, what isn't okay at all?

I've done SOME reading on copyright, but I'm not sure where this falls. I don't think any of these examples count as parody.

Thank you!
Jenny

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Simply naming trademarked names isn't against the law. Using pictures taken or made by someone else is copyright infringement however using copyrighted pictures in thumbnails on YouTube is quite widely overlooked so everyone generally gets away with it.

As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.
Don't confuse copyrights, trademarks, and other forms of "intellectual property." The term "intellectual property" itself, and the kind of thinking it encourages, has led to these very different things being confused with each other.[3] Trademarks, for example, forbid using certain words, marks, symbols, and so on within certain contexts, to protect consumers from misrepresentation. Copyright would not prevent you from, for example, writing some new text editor software and calling it "Microsoft Text Editor", but trademark law would.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-definitions.html

Reactions: Jenny Lynne

Jenny Lynne

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay. Thank you. I'm trying to figure out how far I can go with an idea. I've already posted how to make a Mario hat, but I want to do more. If the series does well, I want to put ads on it. But I don't want to get in trouble for infringment.

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay. Thank you. I'm trying to figure out how far I can go with an idea. I've already posted how to make a Mario hat, but I want to do more. If the series does well, I want to put ads on it. But I don't want to get in trouble for infringment.
Looks completely fine to me (by looking at your Mario one), they should be eligible for monetization.

Jenny Lynne

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay! I'll keep working on that project then. Thank you so much for taking a look at it; I get pretty concerned about infringing. Hah. :)

Reactions: Gabriel
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Well try to have all the permissions before using something which isn't yours.

Someone stole a copyrighted photo from my website and used it on some videos of theirs. I thought Youtube would allow me to get something from them so I reported them. Unfortunately the automated system just removed their video and did not give me the option to do this.

When filming live events like carnival there is a lot of music being played in the background, but Youtube will flag this. So these days I do not keep the original audio, and I replace it by creative commons music.

Reactions: Jenny Lynne

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
When filming live events like carnival there is a lot of music being played in the background, but Youtube will flag this. So these days I do not keep the original audio, and I replace it by creative commons music.
Yeah, that why I hate filming at public areas with a lot of music in the background. You would think that between the voice of the guy behind the camera, the person actually in the video, and all the extra crowd noise, that it would be enough for Youtube to determine you're not ripping off the song.

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I thought Youtube would allow me to get something from them so I reported them. Unfortunately the automated system just removed their video and did not give me the option to do this.
You need to be approved for Content ID to use the CID system to monetize or block reuploads.