Can someone explain this to me please?

RipGroove

Reaction score
I have a DJ set video I want to upload which has around 35 music tracks in it, I've uploaded it several times and it usually comes back with 3 or 4 of them (not always the same 3 or 4) being blocked worldwide which means the video is completely blocked from being viewed by anyone. So, ALL of these tracks are already on other YouTube channels, how is that possible? How are they viewable on other peoples channels but not mine?

Perfect example here, this track always makes my videos get completely blocked, this is a screenshot from my channel:

And here is the exact same song viewable on another channel???

How is this possible? I'm not monetized and I'm more than happy for ad revenue to go to the copywrite owners. I've disputed several of these and while sometimes they actually DO change their mind and allow the video to be seen there is always 1 or 2 that do not, they simply insist that my whole video is not viewable across the whole world.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I don't understand at all why the copywrite owners wouldn't want to just monetize our videos and allow them to be viewed, its free money for them and free entertainment for the viewers, what on Earth is achieved if they just block the video?

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
It is up to the copyright holder if they choose to strike or make a claim. You need to ask them why they blocking you and not others.
It could be:
- the other channels have permission
- the other channels are paying for the rights
- the other channels have not been caught yet
- the other channels were caught, but the copyright holder could not be bothered with them
- etc etc

Reactions: Nicekid76
Reaction score
I also want to know more about this topic. I've seen dozens of people make videos where they "critique" something like a movie or book etc. According to Youtube's rules, you're allowed to take small snippets out of movies, trailers etc and comment on them as that is considered to be journalism. So I tested it out by taking a few clips from tech movies and comparing them to real life, and a day after uploading, Youtube said "Copyright claim" even though I'd read up all about it and the rules say you are allowed to critique movies with short clips showing scenes from their movie.
It seems pretty hypocritical when Youtube already said that is allowed.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
It seems pretty hypocritical when Youtube already said that is allowed.
so we are talking about copyright law. to be 100% clear, Youtube doesn't claim videos nor does it strike videos. Copyright holders do that. Youtube gives copyright holder the tools to do this and without those tools YouTube would be sued out of existence. it's not hypocritical at all. That being said i understand why it feels like that. Also, that isn't according to youtube rules. That part of yotuubes guide lines because it's part of a very confusing part of American law. Youtube no control on the matter besides providing copyright holders the tools to detect when their content is used.

Youtube said "Copyright claim" even though I'd read up all about it and the rules say you are allowed to critique movies with short clips showing scenes from their movie.
next, why did you get a strike even though it was critique? the copyright holder has an automated system that shows them every time their song, movie, tv show is used and most copyright holders just claim everything without checking manually. Sounds unfair but when these companies have 10,000 people using their videos they just claim it all. Otherwise they would be losing money paying someone to review videos for whether or not it's fair use. It would be physically impossible to hire enough people to sort all of that manually
Now if you think it's unfairly claimed, you can dispute it and the company will either manually review it and release it or deny your dispute which could starts a lawsuit from what I understand.
Technically every copyright infringement is punishable by $100,000 USD (or something like that) so you want to be sure that it's fair use or incorrectly claimed

not to mention there's no way to know if something is 100% fair use unless a judge says so. So even if we all agree your use was fair use, no way to know how a judge would come down on the issue. Maybe you showed too much of the movie? maybe there's music in the scene that you were commenting on and you were commenting on the dialog but you weren't commenting on the music (yes that matters). Also short clips doesn't mean it's fair use. For example, pictures can be copyrighted, so a single frame could
technically get your video claimed

How is this possible? I'm not monetized
Lastly, in terms of why some people get away with it and you don't... the reason is just 'because'. Sadly you have zero defense since the copyright holder gets 100% control over who gets to use their content unless if your use falls under "fair use". That's what copyright means. The rights to say who can copy it. Being not monetized doesn't matter, though it is one pillar toward being counted as fair use.

I've disputed several of these and while sometimes they actually DO change their mind and allow the video to be seen there is always 1 or 2 that do not, they simply insist that my whole video is not viewable across the whole world.
honestly, they most likely are not changing their minds, some studios just release any counter claim because the person who claimed it isn't a lawyer but the person who has to deal with your counter claim would be a lawyer as this could start a lawsuit if the deny it.
why do some channel get away with it? It could be that they are getting away with it just because they have more subs so it "more legit". But that's just a guess. Life's not fair sadly.

I don't understand at all why the copywrite owners wouldn't want to just monetize our videos and allow them to be viewed, its free money for them and free entertainment for the viewers, what on Earth is achieved if they just block the video?
I'm going to exaggerate to make a point. How does the copyright holder know the video isn't a clip of you kicking puppies for 20min. They don't. They haven't actually watched your video. They get notified that you are using their song and how much of their song you are using and then they claim or strike it automatically. WMG is one of the biggest studios in the world. They probably get 10,000 people using their content every day. This is mainly automated. Someone uses 2 min of our song in a video claim it. Would you be ok with me using your face or voice over a clip of something terrible just because you were getting paid? How would you manage 10,000's protentional issues like this every day?

1612048878750.png
I am
NOT a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice
1612048878750.png

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
Cheers guys. Something weird keeps happening now:

• I reupload the video (on the off chance it'll slip through cracks as it's not always the same songs that get flagged)
  • I get the odd claim BUT they only block in some territories (Cuba, Iran, Korea etc) so I can live with that
  • I leave the video unpublished for a week just to see if any more claims come through
  • No more claims, video still shows as 'Partially Blocked' (in yellow), cannot monetize (obviously so I'm fine with that)
  • But when I actually Publish it publicly it then suddenly changes to 'Blocked Worldwide (in red)
So, why does it sit for a week with certain songs marked as 'blocked in some territories'/'partially visible' then when published those very same songs suddenly show as 'blocked worldwide'?

Reaction score
next, why did you get a strike even though it was critique? the copyright holder has an automated system that shows them every time their song, movie, tv show is used and most copyright holders just claim everything without checking manually. Sounds unfair but when these companies have 10,000 people using their videos they just claim it all. Otherwise they would be losing money paying someone to review videos for whether or not it's fair use. It would be physically impossible to hire enough people to sort all of that manually
Now if you think it's unfairly claimed, you can dispute it and the company will either manually review it and release it or deny your dispute which could starts a lawsuit from what I understand.
Technically every copyright infringement is punishable by $100,000 USD (or something like that) so you want to be sure that it's fair use or incorrectly claimed

not to mention there's no way to know if something is 100% fair use unless a judge says so. So even if we all agree your use was fair use, no way to know how a judge would come down on the issue. Maybe you showed too much of the movie? maybe there's music in the scene that you were commenting on and you were commenting on the dialog but you weren't commenting on the music (yes that matters). Also short clips doesn't mean it's fair use. For example, pictures can be copyrighted, so a single frame could
technically get your video claimed
Thanks NiceKid76. In my case it is not a strike, but there was just a note (copyright claim) saying if my videos are monetised in the future, then the creator of the movie will keep the revenue.

I don't think I'll make a critique video again since it seems like too much work and stress. Some Youtubers that I really like spend 100% of time making movie critique videos where they play a scene and then state why it is wrong (or right) and others use movie scenes to explain film making techniques, but I guess they must have put a lot of time into researching their rights first and I imagine they probably dispute the claims (otherwise they'd never make any money).

Reactions: Nicekid76

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks NiceKid76. In my case it is not a strike, but there was just a note (copyright claim) saying if my videos are monetised in the future, then the creator of the movie will keep the revenue.

I don't think I'll make a critique video again since it seems like too much work and stress. Some Youtubers that I really like spend 100% of time making movie critique videos where they play a scene and then state why it is wrong (or right) and others use movie scenes to explain film making techniques, but I guess they must have put a lot of time into researching their rights first and I imagine they probably dispute the claims (otherwise they'd never make any money).
also a lot of people will rely on patreon instead. You'd be shocked how many review channel are completely demonetized on YouTube because it's too much hassle so instead they just do sponsorships and patreon to get money..
From what I can see, the biggest reaction channel on patreon is the normies with 9,914 patreons as of the time of this post. There lowest level is 2 bucks a month so they are making at least, AT LEAST 20,000 USD from their patrons. and personally I think most people pay for the premium access level for 10 bucks (which puts us around 100,000 USD per month) because that's the one where you get to watch the full reaction. I'm not saying it's bad that they are making money (honestly they make good stuff for the most part) not even sure if you care about that based on what you said 2 post ago lol, I just want you to know what the tricks of the trade are.

Last edited: