Best Way To Monitor Your Own Video Recordings?

GMI

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi, I'm using a Canon 700d. Shot quite a lot of video and we will now be going into overdrive in production of videos. Just wanted some feedback on what you use to monitor yourself when it's just you doing the recording. I have read so much about not using auto focus...

Ged

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ideally you would use a proper monitor on top of the camera but if you have a flip screen then I recommend using that with a remote control to pull focus when you are ready to start recording. I would switch off autofocus and manually focus each time.

GMI

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
It just seems such a hassle doing it that way Michael. I have a green screen setup. Guitar in hand, lights all on, ready to record, but actually knowing if what you are recording is actually in focus is a real nightmare. Then downloading the actual footage to find out if you were recording in focus, then reassembling the camera on the tripod hoping that you are still in focus...

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It just seems such a hassle doing it that way Michael. I have a green screen setup. Guitar in hand, lights all on, ready to record, but actually knowing if what you are recording is actually in focus is a real nightmare. Then downloading the actual footage to find out if you were recording in focus, then reassembling the camera on the tripod hoping that you are still in focus...
The only way to check properly is either having a camera operator or a monitor that you can see from where you are that is large enough for you to tell when it is in focus or not and then using the remote to focus just the once. There could be a way to get the output through a TV if thats more suited.

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not familiar with the camera itself but if the screen is on the back could placing a mirror behind it help you to monitor it a little? It's not the perfect solution obviously as you wouldn't see it as clearly but it's a DIY solution until you can find a better solution.
I have a screen to watch so it's never been a problem for me but I've seen a lot of videos where the auto focus has caused issues.

Reactions: GMI and Michael

Cyberdome

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's quite expensive but maybe you can use a wireless video transmitter, then you can monitor the camera from your sit.