Zoom useful on a vlogging camera?

Big zoom a necessary feature on a vlogging camera?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jimhed

Hi all,

First post so if this is in the wrong place, please let me know and I will put it in the correct place.

I am looking into upgrading my vlogging camera to something like the Canon S120 or G7x.

I am wondering if the lack of zoom on these cameras will annoy me when using them? Is a good zoom a useful feature for vlogging or will I be better sticking to the cameras like the S120's etc which generally only have around 5x zoom?

Thanks!
James

It kind of depends on your vlogging style, I think. If you're just sitting in your room talking to the camera, zoom probably isn't too useful. But if you are out and about and want to show things around you, zoom can be useful then if you want a close-up.

Thanks for the response!

I would be more out and about that sitting inside. I've got a DSLR for the indoor stationary bits.

Would 5x zoom suffice or will that be too little to be able to be usable outdoors do you think?

Depends, zooming while filming is usually not a good thing if your camera is either out of focus or still needs to focus, also if it's one of those cameras where zooming goes really slow.

Not sure when zooming would be used in vlogging, probably when you want to film something from a far distance etc

Yes, a zoom is preferable, just for the basic act of framing the shot.

As already stated, zooming during filming is not a good idea. Watch any production film/movie and they rarely zoom.

I wouldn't buy a camera for Vlogging without a zoom, where variations in subject distance will be a major factor.

The zoom range depends upon what you are trying to film, and how close you can get to frame the shot.

I have a 30x zoom, but rarely use the full range - up to 10x would be OK in most non sport situations.

Back