Zoom H1 vs Rode Videomic...

randomlilnikki

Superhero, geek, maker of the loud noises.
I can't decide between these two microphones and it's driving me nuts. So I turn to you, oh wise forum pals, to guide me in my quest.

My concern is mainly background noise, because that's a current issue I am having with my camcorder. (I am upgrading to a DSLR). I think a lav mic would solve this, but I don't want to be restricted to just a lav and I don't know a huge amount about mics and sound. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I do vlogging mainly, but I'd like to branch out into sketches and stuff, so that's what I'll be using it for. I mostly use it inside, but I really don't want to be restricted to that.

Both will help - though background noise is background noise, and the best way to fix this is to get as close to the subject (you) as possible, so you can reduce the gain.

The Rode Pro is a good piece of equipment though - I personally get a bit too much echo in my apartment to use it. Honestly, either one would be a good investment, though if noise is a severe issue, a lav mic is going to get the better option.

Both will help - though background noise is background noise, and the best way to fix this is to get as close to the subject (you) as possible, so you can reduce the gain.

The Rode Pro is a good piece of equipment though - I personally get a bit too much echo in my apartment to use it. Honestly, either one would be a good investment, though if noise is a severe issue, a lav mic is going to get the better option.

Cool. Yeah, I think I will be close enough that it won't be much of a problem, hopefully. I just have zilch knowledge when it comes to audio. The Rode is the one that I have been looking at with more favour at this point. Just because it sounds easier to use and there are fewer buttons for me to fudge up... :p

I tend to favor the Rode Videomic, though I'd probably go with the non-pro version with the rycote mount. The nice thing about living in Los Angeles is you can easily find a used Rode Videomic for around $100-and if you take care of it, you can easily get all of the money back selling it if you decide you don't like it. Not sure if you have the same option in your area. I have a Zoom H4N, but it's a major pain to sync up the audio that many times since we film in so many different segments.

The Audio Technica ATR-3350 I use has a massive long cable! Indoors, I don't think you'd find it restrictive at all, and being a lag mic you'll be ale to keep it clipped on close to you, and hence cut out as much background noise as possible.

If you go with the Rode Videomic I recommend getting an extension for it (like this one) so you can place it as close as possible to you when recording, it sounds so much better the closer you get to it.

I am after an extension for mine and some sort of stand/mount. You might want to look into getting a remote shutter release too as focusing on yourself can be a pain in the backside without one. If you are getting an STM lens and going to be using the autofocus at all you will have to mount the Rode Videomic elsewhere as it picks up the lens noise still, I thought it wouldnt being mounted on top of the camera but it is just as audible as when using the internal mic.

Like this:

I have just bought the Rode Videomic Pro which I plan on using with my Canon 60D for vlogging and stuff. So far I've tested it out with just talking and a bit of guitar too and it sounds really good. Obviously the pro version is a bit more expensive, but I think the original is still very good. I've noticed practically zero noise compared to the on-board camera.

If you have the budget, you could buy both and use them together for the perfect sound!

Back