What is a typical license like for commissioned graphics?

soulred12

YTtalk Mad
Lately I've been casually looking at some artists I've seen available for commission on twitter, because I've been toying with the idea of more seriously branding my channel. Out of the several artists I've looked at, only one actually specified their license terms up front and they required retention of all exclusive rights, only granting a revocable license to use the commissioned graphics. They weren't working for free, either.

My initial reaction (which is still my current reaction) is that I would never want to pay for a carpet that can be pulled out from under me at a moment's notice. Maybe it's the paranoid lawyer in me, but if I'm paying for graphics I would want the exclusive IP rights (perhaps with the exception of the artist reserving the right to display the work as part of a portfolio). Is that unreasonable or non-standard? What are most licenses like for commissioned graphics? (And I guess music/intros/etc. too.)

If you want commissioned graphics I'd try @The_Moski on Twitter personally, but it seems to be a paid ownership for the most part. You get the graphic, it's yours to do with as you wish. If someone is trying to hold rights after purchase don't buy from them. You are giving them permission to claim your videos.

(Edit: fixed some grammer)

Yeah not all artists will do that for their work I know I own all my artwork. I just said what I was going to use it for and they were like ''cool do what you want with it''.

Back