What is a "good" audience retention rate?

It's in the analytics section when you're in Video Manager.... it's at the bottom.... and yours can't be that low! I always watch your vids to the finish and it's pretty hard to get me to laugh and yours usually do... I'm sure you're fine ;) haha...
Thanks for your kind words, is it under estimated minutes watched?

I play music! Most of my content is arrangements of old songs from the Public Domain. My retention rate usually hovers around 65%. I'm not sure if that's good or bad for music, but I think it's okay-ish? =/ People tend to click off of the video at around the 1.5 - 2 minute mark, regardless of how long the video is, so I've been trying to shorten my videos to that length.

I made a long 14 minute music tutorial, and people tend to watch about 4.5 minutes of it..I also gave them buttons to skip to different parts of the tutorial. It was interesting to see that the 4 minutes that they were watching was a tiny section towards the end repeated over and over again.. It taught me a lot about what I need to focus on for any future tutorials. I would suggest adding buttons to different sections if you have a long tutorial video! It might wreck your retention time, but you can see directly what people want to watch based on which buttons they click to skip to the different sections. I think the viewers seem to appreciate the buttons, too. Nothing stinks like trying to rewind a long video to a particular section but not being able to find it..

utuz8.jpg

I lose a lot at the beginning and at the end. My first and last 15 seconds of the video are texts. Do you have the same problem?

Last edited:
I lose a lot at the beginning and at the end. My first and last 15 seconds of the video are texts. Do you have the same problem?
I think your graph shows that you hold people's attention the entire video! =) My graphs look a bit different:
2vhyzyh.jpg

No idea why it starts at 120%...That's a little weird. The gradual drop-off of people in my graph isn't a very good sign, and all of my videos that I just clicked through had the same trend. I do not have text in the beginning, but I also have a drop at the end where there is text...

Last edited:
My retention is pretty terrible at the moment, but I think that's because I'm making Let's Play videos at 20 minutes apiece which seems to be too long. I'm also losing a lot of viewers within the first minute which I don't quite understand. I don't use a long intro or anything like that, am very chatty and engaging right off the bat, and am quite clear about what kind of video it is before people click on it.

Back