what do you Youtube managers actually do?

YouTube managers? You referring to the managers that YouTube assigns to select channels?

If you mean a manager in the traditional "showbiz" sense, then a YouTube manager would be someone who helps manage the day-to-day operations of a YouTuber. Most likely only very successful YouTubers would need a manager, as there wouldn't be too much activity for a manager to handle for a "smaller" channel. A manager would potentially be the first point of contact for any business requests, they'd handle publicity/marketing opportunities (assuming the YouTuber doesn't have a specific PR person), help run a schedule for the YouTuber if they have a lot on their plate, broker deals with other industry professionals, etc. Most often than not, I believe even most "big" YouTubers are their own managers because, even when successful, it's not like they're a movie star being inundated with constant contact. If not, maybe they have a friend or family member that helps keep things in check for them. I'd imagine it's the very "top" YouTubers that would have actual professional managers that take a % cut of profit - i.e. YouTubers that have been successful enough to release a book, as they probably wouldn't be able to handle all that work alone.

This definition of "manager" is slightly separate from a show-biz one, as I believe a YouTube manager also takes on some of the responsibilities that a traditional talent agent would, but most YouTubers wouldn't need a talent agent unless they're specifically looking to branch out into film/music.

yeah I meant like what Aria said. Talent managers :)[DOUBLEPOST=1437853316,1437853194][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you mean a manager in the traditional "showbiz" sense, then a YouTube manager would be someone who helps manage the day-to-day operations of a YouTuber. Most likely only very successful YouTubers would need a manager, as there wouldn't be too much activity for a manager to handle for a "smaller" channel. A manager would potentially be the first point of contact for any business requests, they'd handle publicity/marketing opportunities (assuming the YouTuber doesn't have a specific PR person), help run a schedule for the YouTuber if they have a lot on their plate, broker deals with other industry professionals, etc. Most often than not, I believe even most "big" YouTubers are their own managers because, even when successful, it's not like they're a movie star being inundated with constant contact. If not, maybe they have a friend or family member that helps keep things in check for them. I'd imagine it's the very "top" YouTubers that would have actual professional managers that take a % cut of profit - i.e. YouTubers that have been successful enough to release a book, as they probably wouldn't be able to handle all that work alone.

This definition of "manager" is slightly separate from a show-biz one, as I believe a YouTube manager also takes on some of the responsibilities that a traditional talent agent would, but most YouTubers wouldn't need a talent agent unless they're specifically looking to branch out into film/music.

yeah I was just wondering because there's this one channel called IAmJamessss and he has a talent manager. He only has 20k subs so I would assume at that level he can manage his own stuff but...???

In the beginning you are a small YouTuber. Then you start to grow and gain subscribers. Once you start to monetise, you can slowly start to upgrade your equipment. Then you expand your social media. That is when things start to become a bit complicated unless you work full time.

Back