Video Structure Importance

Michael

I Love YTtalk
So this is an article about video structure and the importance of it. When thinking about making a video and you're doing the plot and script try to set it out as best you can and get this done now rather than later as its easier to do now then go back and fix once recorded or upload something in the wrong order that doesn't make much sense to the viewer.

To begin with divide your film idea into at least 3 sections:

Start/Beginning

Middle

End

You want to use this structure so that you have an introduction at the beginning so you can allow your viewers to understand what its all about and introduce any characters here and make the video appealing to them you need to grab their attention here. You want them to know what is going on make sure they know the purpose without thinking about it.

In the middle you have some of the most important video content which is really the bulk and meat of it which then leads to a climax at the end.You could have multiple climaxes throughout the video and a big one at the end but usually they are right at the end leaving the audience with after thoughts.

When you do your videos I personally believe its best to have this kind of structure no matter what it is about.

Here is an example of a structured script:

Gaming Video:

Start/Beginning = Hey guys this is MichaelGamingHD and I am going to be showing you how to get a 50 killstreak with little effort in Call of Duty Black Ops

Middle = Okay so we come over to this corner here, crouch, wait a moment and start firing like crazy, see them drop like flies? This works on all of the map packs and I would love to see if anyone else knows any similar ways of pulling this off.

End = Here it is again in slow motion for those who want to see it a little bit better. That's how you do it and thank you for watching, please subscribe, comment and rate. Speak to you all soon.

And here is a poor example of the above one:

Start/Beginning = Watch me kill all these people really fast, bang bang bang!

Middle = Heres some slow motion for you.

End = Speak to you all soon.

The end didnt recap at all on anything in the second example and brought the video to a sudden halt. If you can try and make sure you end it with something interesting rather than a quick goodbye although that can sometimes be hard to avoid.

You want your viewers to see your videos in a way that makes most sense, I hope this helps some of you even though a lot of this is common knowledge.

Thank you for reading.

Good thoughts. One thing I could add is that in terms of audience retention, it seems that people abandon videos once there is no clear goal or reason to keep watching. So I would really emphasize that what you grab the viewer with in your introduction, that quest or reason for watching, should not be fulfilled until the end of the video, in order to retain your viewer.

I had forgotten all about this thread :D I completely agree, if you have their attention you need to keep that right until the end if you can.

Always start your video with a very clearly established goal for the video to accomplish.
  • To get to the next level
  • To find out how to jailbreak your iPhone at home
  • To learn how to make pizza
  • To see the number one spot in a Top 10 video.
You get the idea?
A goal that is immediately established in the beginning entices the person watching to stick to the end. Most of these videos are often asking a question with promises of an answer. Pretty basic stuff, but the idea is there.

Depending on how you personally choose to structure your video, this usually needs to happen right at the beginning.

The Beginning (Act 1)
  • Asks a question the viewer wants answered.
  • Starts with promise of an answer.
Promise of the Premise (Act 2)
  • Provides the content promised in the beginning.
  • Usually this part of the video is the events or steps leading up to the resolution.
Resolution (Act 3)
  • Answers the question
  • The promise of more answers for other interesting questions.
This is the basic philosophy that structures some of my internet videos. Most of which that have a lot of views follow this premise to the T. I find that writing with expertly placed structure can really make or break a good video. And since I come from a screenwriting background I guess it just comes naturally.

I agree with Matt because most people watch how-to videos on YouTube. How could I use this strategy on my NBA 2K16 MyGM videos so people will continue watching?

Good tips all around! I agree that the introduction is the most important part, especially for longer videos. You really have to grab the viewer right off the bat if you want them to stick around. Something I'm trying to work on for my videos. :)

I agree with Matt because most people watch how-to videos on YouTube. How could I use this strategy on my NBA 2K16 MyGM videos so people will continue watching?
"have you ever wondered what would happen if Lebron left for the lakers?" or whatever relevant thing is going on in your gameplay. Or "Lets see if we can win game 7 and get some rings"

Back