UnCopyrighted Music?

Own Core

Hey, does anyone know any good sites or services that have a large selection of uncopyrighted music on it. I am struggling to find music that I can post in a monetized video and not get in trouble for it.

It's a question of poor searching. There is no such thing as non-copyrighted music in the general sense. There are some songs whose reproduction can be done without penalty due to the copyright elapsing but that is usually in the area of 90 years after the authors death.

What you need to search for is called Creative Commons. This is an open license (Attribution 3.0 specifically) which the creator attaches to their material that allows you to use it for monetized purposes so long as you give them credit in the proper fashion.

My suggestion, as @Tarmack pointed out, is to use Creative Commons licensed music. Most specifically Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 or 4.0 licenses. Other CC licenses might have special terms such "no derivatives" which does not allow you to use it in a new work; depending on the artist that may or may not include YouTube videos.
You can also use music in the Public Domain.
Before using any piece of music always remember to do your research and attribute it correctly!!!!!!
Here are some of my favorite resources for CC and PD music.

incompetech.com Music compose by Kevin MacLeod and released under Creative Commons Attribution licenses. MacLaod covers many genres of music, and all are available free for download. Always link back to his website when using his works. If you use more than one track or if you use music from other artists in the same video be sure to list the names of the tracks in order of appearance with appropriate attribution.

danosongs.com Music by Dan O'Connor released under Creative Commons Attribution licenses. Sadly they are no longer free; there are small fees to use his music. We can thank bigger and richer labels who tried to steal his music for that.

bensound.com Music released under Creative Commons Attribution licenses. Ben covers a few different genres. All songs are free to download, but like Kevin MacLeod's music, always attribute and list appropriately. Ben also offers royalty free music (pay once, use forever) on another site.

joshwoodward.com Music by Josh Woodward; most of his music has a sort of rock/pop/folk feel to it. All of his music is licensed Creative Commons Attribution, and he releases both the vocal and instrumental versions of all his songs. On his site you can download for free or help support him by buying his music.

purple-planet.com Offers decent background mysic. Most of it is very ambient, but they experiment with other genres. They are not Creative Commons licensed! However, they release their music for free, and it is OK to use their music for online videos as long as you give credit. You can even use the music if you host ads. Read this page before using their music to make sure you agree with their rules and attribute appropriately.

kelleemaize.com Music by the astounding rapper Kellee Maize. Most of her music centers around things like positive intention, changing the world, love and the occasional bits of feminism among other things. She releases her music under Creative Commons Attribution licenses, so attribute like Kevin MacLeod's music. You can buy the music from her website or she has them for free from her page on Free Music Archive.

Speaking of Free Music Archive, a number of my favorite artists are available for download there. Free Music Archive is chock full of amazing free music, most of which can be used for videos. However, it's important to use the right licenses. My suggestion is to search ONLY the CC BY section and the Public Domain section. For your convenience, here are the search preferences pre-linked.
Search FMA for Creative Commons Attribution licensed music only
Search FMA for Public Domain license music only
If you would like to broaden or refine the searches, you can use the search preferences at the left, but I would suggest reading up on the other licenses before using them.
ALWAYS check licenses before using songs. Sometimes the majority of an album or most of an artist's music will be labeled with one license, but they might list certain songs with different licenses. Always cover your back.
And always remember to attribute accordingly!

Keep in mind that there is new music being rolled out all the time by new artists discovering the wonders of Creative Commons licenses. Do a new search every so often if you need new music; and if you can afford it, you might consider asking one of the existing artists to do a commissioned work!

I hope this helps. Good luck!!! If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. I've been looking into this stuff for years ^u^

Last edited:
Youtube itself have great library of FREE Music, another site is Royalty free music incompetech.com
:D
I have been going through the youtube library and it isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. They have some good stuff in there.[DOUBLEPOST=1421035903,1421035885][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm starting to make some loops and samples etc. I have one uploaded so far. Just go to my other YT account offbeatbryceproductions to find it.
Ill check it out! Thanks

Back