Short or Long option ?

• Short

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Long

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
So i´m not sure what is better. Today i stood before the decision : Should i combine two scripts for a comedy video into one ? It´s one series after all, and the content would match good enough to be together in a video. I choose to go with the short option (video is 1:48min, next one in the series will be ~3 min). The combined option wouldn´t produce a video thats too long or worse, maybe even a better video. But i thought the probability of someone discovering me is higher with the split video, i am able to do 2 videos a week this way, not one, also i wouldn´t be able to release the video today otherwise.
But still, this is broader than just this one video.
Should i do 2 videos a week that are 2-3 minutes or one that is 6 minutes. Should i invest another 2 hours or just release it now ? How important is this to me ? My goal is to build a audience that likes my content, my jokes but also my philosophical content. Thats why now i go, most of time, with the shorter option. But then a video only consists of one topic (to make jokes about). Not sure if thats good or bad.

Do you have this problem too ? What do you prefer (both producing and watching) ?

Edit : The video im talking about is my newest.

Keep it short at the start, more people will be discouraged to click on a video from a lesser known Youtuber if it is too long. just my two cents though

A really good question, let me help you on that topic!

Two short videos (Pros):
  • More frequent uploads
  • If it's great quality it will be enjoyed more
  • Two is better than one if the quality matches
Two short videos (Cons):
  • Longer videos ranks better in the search query way better than short videos, meaning your videos wouldn't get the attention they deserve. (But it's possible)
  • Shorter videos can upset your audience but this matters with longer videos and less frequent uploads.

That list was a bit short but anyway, I would recommend going with the Two smaller videos and maybe add a video that's longer as a sort of bonus.
Maybe a speed edit of you making the video, and all of a sudden you've got yourself three videos instead of two/one.

I hope I could help in some way!

-Tomba

A really good question, let me help you on that topic!

Two short videos (Pros):
  • More frequent uploads
  • If it's great quality it will be enjoyed more
  • Two is better than one if the quality matches
Two short videos (Cons):
  • Longer videos ranks better in the search query way better than short videos, meaning your videos wouldn't get the attention they deserve. (But it's possible)
  • Shorter videos can upset your audience but this matters with longer videos and less frequent uploads.

That list was a bit short but anyway, I would recommend going with the Two smaller videos and maybe add a video that's longer as a sort of bonus.
Maybe a speed edit of you making the video, and all of a sudden you've got yourself three videos instead of two/one.

I hope I could help in some way!

-Tomba
Thank you, nice comment.
I don´t think i will upset my audience with short videos since i dont have a real audience :(
Also i only have 3 videos on my channel, all are pretty short.
For me the biggest pro is just me being able to post more videos. I am in my last year of school and quite busy with that, and i already invest 10 hours/week or more into youtube videos and that same number on youtube related stuff (yttalk, SEO, sharing on reddit etc.).
Also my target audience are reddit folks who will click away as soon as the video gets boring - so 2 min videos seem less "intimidating" to them compared to 5 min videos. Maybe as soon as most my views come from subscribers or search engine hits i will make longer videos to optimise the "Hey i want to share/like this video" stuff.
My biggest problem right now is the switching between content. I do two videos a week, one comedy scetch and one philosophical / go-think-about-that video (which are faster to produce and longer, but not as satisfying as the comedy ones). I fear that if one subscribes because of my comedy video, then he will get scared away by the next one (the other stuff i do) and otherwise.

Thank you, nice comment.
I don´t think i will upset my audience with short videos since i dont have a real audience :(
Also i only have 3 videos on my channel, all are pretty short.
For me the biggest pro is just me being able to post more videos. I am in my last year of school and quite busy with that, and i already invest 10 hours/week or more into youtube videos and that same number on youtube related stuff (yttalk, SEO, sharing on reddit etc.).
Also my target audience are reddit folks who will click away as soon as the video gets boring - so 2 min videos seem less "intimidating" to them compared to 5 min videos. Maybe as soon as most my views come from subscribers or search engine hits i will make longer videos to optimise the "Hey i want to share/like this video" stuff.
My biggest problem right now is the switching between content. I do two videos a week, one comedy scetch and one philosophical / go-think-about-that video (which are faster to produce and longer, but not as satisfying as the comedy ones). I fear that if one subscribes because of my comedy video, then he will get scared away by the next one (the other stuff i do) and otherwise.

Alright then stick with doing two short videos bit remember to stay consistent! That's one of the biggest factors when you want to grow. Make them come back!

I do Sony Vegas tutorials that I upload everyday and I am growing slowly bit steadily, got 10 new subsribers in 5 days and active people!

So stick with the short ones and maybe add a third short video if you have the time to do so!

Make a playlist as well.
Good luck I believe in you!

Regards
Tomba

Alright then stick with doing two short videos bit remember to stay consistent! That's one of the biggest factors when you want to grow. Make them come back!

I do Sony Vegas tutorials that I upload everyday and I am growing slowly bit steadily, got 10 new subsribers in 5 days and active people!

So stick with the short ones and maybe add a third short video if you have the time to do so!

Make a playlist as well.
Good luck I believe in you!

Regards
Tomba
Playlists, Design and Channel Layout are all there, i just need to get constant video output

Back