transparent profile picture...

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Hi,

So I made a profile picture for a new channel I am making... Its my face in a white circle and I thought it would be cool if it looked circle shaped on my banner so I went into gimp and make them outside of the circle transparent... But YouTube has rendered the transparent portion as black.

Anyone know if its possible to get round this?

What file did you upload it as? Perhaps try a PNG file? That might work :) But I'm really not sure.....

It was a PNG file. Its not a big deal really, I just think a circle profile picture would be quite swish

There's no way to make it actually transparent if YouTube doesn't preserve the alpha channel (sounds like they don't).

BUT... the work around is you just do a screen capture of the youtube page. Extrapolate from what's around the profile picture how the square would look if the profile pic wasn't there and create that. Then overlay your transparent PNG over top of that. Then crop the exact square out. Then use that as your profile picture and it will APPEAR AS THOUGH you have a transparent background.

If that's not too much work to be worth it.

There's no way to make it actually transparent if YouTube doesn't preserve the alpha channel (sounds like they don't).

BUT... the work around is you just do a screen capture of the youtube page. Extrapolate from what's around the profile picture how the square would look if the profile pic wasn't there and create that. Then overlay your transparent PNG over top of that. Then crop the exact square out. Then use that as your profile picture and it will APPEAR AS THOUGH you have a transparent background.

If that's not too much work to be worth it.

I figured that it would be something like that, YouTube should totally implement that though.. As it stands now I think I'll just live with it. Thanks tho.

I had this same problem! Its all youtubes side, they need to implement transparent logos, mine just came up with a grey background

It should be uploaded as a PNG file, if it`s anything else it will create a background around it. If that does not work you might have to edit it a little that`s all I got.

Back