The other way of capturing video, and audio. ( mostly for gamers )

FireyFly

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and so far, I already really like it, so I decided to share some secret, about how we capture our content, that we are uploading to youtube!

First of all, you need a video capture software. Usually people use Fraps, or similar softwares, that are capturing your screen in RAW data. That means you are going to need lots of space on your hard drive. We thought, why not capturing, and compressing at the same time? So we have found our own solution to capture high quality video, and audio content separately, thinking ahead of after editing our videos. This way we can keep a 18 minute video on the size of 1.2 GB while it still has a great quality!

For video, and in-game capturing we use FFsplit, which is a bit similar to Xsplit, but it is free, and it requires less performance, and produces better picture quality, which is the most important to every fellow youtuber!

For the voice we use audacity, but we could just use the simple windows sound recorder too, it is almost the same.

Since we are not recording at the same place, we have to talk to each other through a VoIP software, which can be mostly anything, really. But we prefer using Teamspeak 3. Because we can set, what channel we want Teamspeak to record, and play back our voice.

Now, here comes the tricky part, if you would record your media like this, the sound of the conversation through your VoIP software would be "burnt" in to the audio channel of the audio, that you have recorded with the program that you capture your screen, and the in-game audio with. So what we did, is that we found a solution to capture these audio channels separately, without buying any expensive hardwares or so, this way our Teamspeak conversation could not be heard on our videos, only our own voice, that we have recorded through audacity.

How we did this:

Find a software to capture audio channels separately, the one we are using called Virtual Audio Cable, which will create a "virtual sound card" on your PC that will be called as "Line 1". Now that you have this, you probably won't be able to hear the sound on your pc, because your Windows set the "Default playback device" to "Line 1" which you can turn off, by simply disabling the "Line 1" in your playback, and record section. Every time you want to record new content, you will have to enable this device through both record, and playback. Your Teamspeak settings will have to stay on your original capture, and playback device which is your sound card ( not "Line 1 ). After you've done this, you are now capturing your in-game sound, and audio in to one file, for example .mp4. But not capturing ANY voice in to that audio, so your voice will be captured in to a separate .wav file through audacity which you separately have to start recording, and you won't be able to hear your Teamspeak conversation through your captured content.

Now the last thing is, this way, you won't hear your in-game audio on your PC, because simply the audio is playing back on another channel! And all you hear is your sound card's audio channel, which is the Teamspeak conversation, you will need to send the audio from "Line 1" to your original audio channel, which you can do with a program called Audio Repeater, which will play back the sound in your "Line 1" ( which is the sound of the game you're playing ) channel to your original channel, so this way, you will be able to hear your in-game audio too!

I hope my English is good enough for this method to be explained, if not, tell me, and I will try to edit it the best I can.

Thank you for reading, and happy capturing! :)

Nice load of information right there :) already knew it all, but this will really help people who want to start recording group calls while playing PC games :D I can see this helping a lot of people with their youtube series' if they didn't already know all this :)

Thanks for posting this to the forums <3

Back