The Gnomish Militia Needs YOU!! *Finger Pointing Out From Recruiting Poster* (Another Game Request)

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
So I've been working on this little channel since about January and I like to make youtube videos on video games. BUT! I do my videos on games most people don't know about or haven't completely flooded youtube with fanchans. Primarily indie titles though I do stray to Triple A games from time to time (Damn Diablo 3...)

I also do 2 minute short rants on very specific game industry related topics (Trying to do them twice a week when I am able).

I've come a long way in video/audio/commentary quality in that time and would like for any helpful souls of the YTtalk community who can spare a few moments of their day/night to watch any two videos posted within the last month or two. I would love any and all comments you can provide.

I do request that you stay as far away from the first video I did on QUBE. It is not worth watching and to not heed this warning really may be the butterfly wing flap that causes world war 3. I deserve the YTtalk award for "most improved" and not because my current videos are great, rather it's just that bad.

If you leave a review that has paragraphs, grammatical structure and is of some decentish length, I'll even try to figure out how to throw a YTtalk coin or two in your general direction.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Hey. So i just checked out some of the more recent videos on your channel, and first off i liked them. I appreciate the fact that you've taken the time to script for your video's when its needed, and your audio quality and video quality is pretty good. My one critique, and I wouldn't be surprised if people said this to me just due to the way my voice naturally sounds is your tone. What i mean is i feel like it's so scripted that maybe you've forgot to think about how you sound. I wouldn't mind hearing more humour, maybe not jokes, but just something more. I might have missed it, but I didn't feel like I heard anything more than a formal talk about a subject. That is the only thing I'd like to see in your subject talks/reviews, just something that bit more to make it a bit more personal. You've put a lot of effort into having quality commentary, but I feel its just lacking a bit of you.

I have been having difficulty with the vocal tone since I began. The weird thing is that it is exactly how I talk normally (with the exception of being much faster). Unfortunately I've not discovered a way around it as yet short of having a few drinks beforehand. My writing style involves a heavy amount of sarcasm and dry humor, but it doesn't seem to transfer as well into spoken word. I very much appreciate the comments though. It confirms one of the weak points that I've identified for myself.

One of the things I've pondered was to try to set up a standing recording area. This would let me be a bit more animated while speaking, but involves either printing the scripts or physically raising a monitor off the desk. Anyone have experience in recording vocals standing vs sitting?

I've added another. Trying to get on a bi-weekly schedule for the Feature Creep episodes. Please take a look and let me know what you like/dislike.

Hey, since I like your stuff I thought I would give some more feedback. First off I liked your audio a bit more in this, I felt the dry humour/sarcasm coming through especially with the cutting comments about E3. And I agree with your opinion, me and my Fiancé have a kinect, and its more about messing around than for the core gamers so why anything like that was on the main stage press conferences I don't know. I would of liked some more comments from you though, it felt like your speaking could of lasted for an extra 10 seconds just to get a few more things in, but thats probably because I wanted to just hear more of your opinion. Good job though :)

Thank you Fluxzy. My current conundrum with this series is how the mechanics should work. I wanted to do short videos (my advertising tag line is 2 minutes or less). But at the same time I want to put a little outro with the videos to let viewers know its a series and kinda explain it. Do you think it would be better if I made a comment at the end saying my 2 minutes is up and then commencing with the series/show explanation? I'd wanted to keep the total video length less than 2 minutes, but I suppose that keeping just the opinion piece that length doesn't turn my short video claim false. I can certainly be caustic on a topic for longer than 2 minutes if needed.

My next one is going to be on the controversial rape plot in the new tomb raider and I certainly have plenty to say on that topic. :p

I think you certainly shouldn't get rid of the intro/outro, so the actual opinion section could easily flesh out into the full 2 mins. It could easily have a timer to show when your opinion starts, although that could come across as quite gimmicky. Something to show where the topic starts and ends. :)

I hadn't considered a timer. Gimmicky maybe but it might actually work. Ive no idea how to do an animated timer lol.

Back