Short Film...Advice Needed!!!

leachy2011

Hey guys,
So me, my friends and my two brothers were thinking of making a short film (or medium running time, say 45mins) and I wanted to get your ideas and opinions on it (bearing in mind it has been planned via word of mouth, nothing written down)

So it all starts with my brother going out to the shop in the evening, two hours later and he has still not returned. This is unusual as the shops are only 5 minutes away. My parents go out to look for him, they try his mobile but no answer. After 4 hours they begin to get agitated and call the Police and report him missing (we are hoping that we will catch a lucky opportunity when a Police helicopter is circling overhead). The next evening two detectives (actors) turn up at the door and tell me, my parents and my other brother that there is a very slim chance of finding him now and that they will keep looking but the chances are slim.
The next day me and a couple of my friends go out for a walk in the forest. I try to keep my mind off the incident of the previous day but at the end I break down in tears on a bench. As the Sun starts to set we walk home, we are still in the forest when I see my brother sitting on a back bench with his head down. I yell at my friends whether they can see my brother sitting there, the all say no and I protest the fact that he is definately there. When I turn to walk away and turn back to see if he really is there...he has dissapeared.
During the next few days other people go missing and everytime we go to the forest I can see them sitting on the same bench that my brother was. Then one of these days I see a hooded figure staring at me. I deside to abandon my friends and sit next to him. Before I can speak he says "Dig up the box, near the scratched up white tree" he leaves a peice of paper with a co-ordinate on it and walks into some bushes, I try to follow him but behind the bush is a brick wall. The next day I come to the forest alone and go to the co-ordinates and dig up a metal chest. Inside the chest is a letter about The Curse of [not decided on the name yet] that when a person leaves a cigarette but on a womans grave [Not sure what to call the woman] she will take a person from all the families in the village. If the smoker is bought to the womans grave then all the family members will be returned. If the smoker is not found within 15 days, families will never see their missing members ever again.
To cut a long story short, I get my friends involved and we find the smoker. We take him to the grave and tell him to stay there till midnight. He does as he is told...he gets possesed and walks behind the Church, I try to follow him but he has dissapeared. When I turn around there is a woman, she is young and she explains how her partner had burnt down her house with a cigarette and killed her. And that now she has helped get rid of at least one smoker she can be peaceful. We leave her and the credits roll.

So thats it, I would like to say that this is not a film against smoking it was just kind of the plot that automatically filtered into my brain. I know the plot isn't amazing, we only want to do it as a bit of fun. Also it is a low, almost no budget film that is easy to make. I have a very talented cameraman and Director in my friendship group, also we all study drama so it should turn out to be okay! Any thought or any feedback on the plot?

i think it's pretty solid. when you first mentioned the cigarette, i was a bit thrown off. I felt that was little weird, but once you explained it it made sense and seemed fine. while the cigarette is fine, may I throw in a suggestion. how about instead of a cigarette, use a lighter. and then instead of a smoker, you can say it was a former (or current) arsonist. i feel like that wouldn't make it look like you're targeting smokers and you give the lady this very vengeful feel to her. like she's so determined to get this person that she goes to great lengths, even kidnapping the members of families.

just my thoughts! either way, this sounds awesome, hope to see it sometime!

i think it's pretty solid. when you first mentioned the cigarette, i was a bit thrown off. I felt that was little weird, but once you explained it it made sense and seemed fine. while the cigarette is fine, may I throw in a suggestion. how about instead of a cigarette, use a lighter. and then instead of a smoker, you can say it was a former (or current) arsonist. i feel like that wouldn't make it look like you're targeting smokers and you give the lady this very vengeful feel to her. like she's so determined to get this person that she goes to great lengths, even kidnapping the members of families.

just my thoughts! either way, this sounds awesome, hope to see it sometime!
Thanks for the feedback, I was slightly unsure about the cigarette, I think a lighter would be better. I'll be sure to mention you in the credits if I do incorporate the lighter, thanks again

Back