Providing Commercial Use Rights?

Kleineganz

Opinionated Vlogger and Gamer
So for the first time since I've started posting gaming videos, I got hit with this when trying to monetize a gaming video:

Your video is currently not approved for monetization. To consider your request, YouTube requires information regarding your commercial use rights for your video.

This happened on my new SimCity Let's Play I posted. I didn't include any cut scenes, I reduced the volume of the music to 20% and I have full volume commentary throughout. I've been posting Sims 3 videos for months now with no problems (doing the same thing with the music, commentary). Any ideas why I'm getting hit with this on SimCity? It's not a copyright strike, it's not a content ID claim, just not allowing me to monetize.

It is giving me the option to prove I am allowed, but the "learn more" link with more info gives me a 404 (the URL they link to is http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2490081). If I select the check mark to provide proof my options basically are 1. it's my own original content, 2. I have a license for the content or 3. I have written permission to use the content. No option for fair use?

Any advice?

So for the first time since I've started posting gaming videos, I got hit with this when trying to monetize a gaming video:

Your video is currently not approved for monetization. To consider your request, YouTube requires information regarding your commercial use rights for your video.

This happened on my new SimCity Let's Play I posted. I didn't include any cut scenes, I reduced the volume of the music to 20% and I have full volume commentary throughout. I've been posting Sims 3 videos for months now with no problems (doing the same thing with the music, commentary). Any ideas why I'm getting hit with this on SimCity? It's not a copyright strike, it's not a content ID claim, just not allowing me to monetize.

It is giving me the option to prove I am allowed, but the "learn more" link with more info gives me a 404 (the URL they link to is http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2490081). If I select the check mark to provide proof my options basically are 1. it's my own original content, 2. I have a license for the content or 3. I have written permission to use the content. No option for fair use?

Any advice?

Strictly speaking you don't own the content so there's no way you will win. You will either have to delete it, re-upload it and hope it doesn't happen again or just not monetize it.
FYI, you will only win a Fair Use case if it's a review or parody - let's play isn't covered.

Any advice?
lol :D
There`s no option for fair use because it isn`t fair use...

Email EA and ask for permission, I did and they replied to me within 24 hours.

lol :D
There`s no option for fair use because it isn`t fair use...

Email EA and ask for permission, I did and they replied to me within 24 hours.

Ok so I emailed EA and they responded with this:

Greetings:

This is in response to your request dated April 02, 2013. Unfortunately, EA is not able to provide a blanket permission to use our copyrighted game footage. We have previously advised YouTube that EA generally does not object to fair uses of video footage or screen shots from publicly released versions of our copyrighted games, including on YouTube channels which are commercialized, but that we reserve rights to address inappropriate use of our copyrighted content. We will continue to advise YouTube directly of that position.

Thank you,
Permission Requests Team
Electronic Arts Inc.

So what does that mean? Does that mean I have permission? How do I communicate this to YouTube?

Ok I emailed EA, I think they gave me permission based on the email I received ^^^, so I went ahead and told YouTube that I have written permission. However they have *STILL* denied me monetization on my video and they never asked me to send them the written permission (the info was to wait for an email where I could provide the permission info to them, which I never received. Instead I was just denied again). Now what do I do!? :(

Ok I emailed EA, I think they gave me permission based on the email I received ^^^, so I went ahead and told YouTube that I have written permission. However they have *STILL* denied me monetization on my video and they never asked me to send them the written permission (the info was to wait for an email where I could provide the permission info to them, which I never received. Instead I was just denied again). Now what do I do!? :(

The email you posted alone definitely doesn't look like permission. I think you're out of luck, if YouTube doesn't want you to monetize there's not a whole lot of options left. Do you know if the content claim is from the footage or the music in the game?

The email you posted alone definitely doesn't look like permission. I think you're out of luck, if YouTube doesn't want you to monetize there's not a whole lot of options left. Do you know if the content claim is from the footage or the music in the game?
There's no content claim. It's just YouTube rejecting monetization. They never even gave me a chance to send them the email I got from EA (it's sort of permission ... at least it's saying that they allow people to use their content for commercial use on YouTube and that they will advise YouTube of that directly). Even if it's not explicit permission, I was never able to even provide that. I was just outright denied. (No content ID claim, no copyright strike).

I can't even appeal again apparently. I wish YouTube had an email address or *something* where I could plead my case to.

2013-04-04_1204.png

Back