Premiere Pro "Capture Device Offline" using Logitech C920

jm35

Hi all,

I have been scouring the web all this morning trying to find the issue to this error but have had no luck (a lot of the info is too technical for me). I'm just starting trying to do YT videos so I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to recording an editing. Since the software and camcorder are all popular products, I wanted to see if anyone here could help my fix this issue.

I have my C920 plugged into the USB port on my computer (I think its in 3.0 right now but I also tried 2.0) and when I try to do "Capture" on Premiere Pro, it says "Capture Device Offline". I have tried playing with the DV/HDV settings but nothing has worked. I tried USB 2.0 without any luck either. When I pull up Camtasia or Bandicam, the webcam seems to being recording and working just fine...so I'm not sure why Premiere isn't picking it up. I also tried to setup "Device Control" but Logitech isn't an option on it and "Go Online for Device Info" was way over my head.

Has anyone else ran into this issue/know of a fix?

Also, if you are just doing a webcam video of your face, will most of you record it on Premiere or will you use a different 3rd party recorder and then import the file into Premiere? Still new to this so no idea what the best practices are.

Thanks a ton!

"Premiere Pro captures video through a digital port, such as a FireWire or SDI port installed on the computer. "

source: helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/capturing-digitizing.html

So you have to go with another webcam recording program I believe...
:)

I'd recommend using an app like OBS to record instead. Windows and Mac also have built-in webcam apps that you could use if OBS is a bit daunting (although you will have less control over how the video is recorded with those webcam apps).

Hi jm35,
I think I understand your problem. I use Premiere (but not the latest version) and way back I recorded videos onto mini dv tape. Now, of course, I record onto an sd card or smaller. Your webcam also records onto a card or built-in memory (I know nothing about your gear!)

Now when Premiere is set to CAPTURE it means that it's set to capture from a tape of whatever format. What you have to do is ask Premiere to IMPORT. This means to import from a card or built-in memory of your gear. You then find the file, wherever it is. On your camera in this case.

I have tried to put this into its simplest form so I hope you will understand. To sum up. IN PREMIERE DONT TRY TO CAPTURE BUT TO IMPORT.
best of luck. Pete

I believe the easiest way is to record from either the Camera app or by using OBS. Using built in premier stuff can be finicky

Back