Pixilation :(

Seage

Hey guys! Just switched over to one, since id be forced to soon anyways. And so now encountering a pixilation issue. The compression wrecked my art >.>

Anyone else having that issue?
U can see my page for how it looks. I saved it for web, but still...blahhh. Maybe im just over critical because its my art, haha.

Blame YouTube's awful compression. Btw, that is some nice art you got there. :eek:
Thanks mate. And yeah, i hope they fix that. If you upload it at a good resolution, it tells you its too big, haha.

I'm able to get my banner without pixilation.
Not saying it to be in any way rude or offensive, so I hope you dont take it as such, but your banner actually is a little pixilated. Maybe thats not the right word, but im guessing the jpg or png you used didnt look like that initially. Was probably higher quality. But the compression changed the look a little. I can see the edges are not really smooth.

Not saying it to be in any way rude or offensive, so I hope you dont take it as such, but your banner actually is a little pixilated. Maybe thats not the right word, but im guessing the jpg or png you used didnt look like that initially. Was probably higher quality. But the compression changed the look a little. I can see the edges are not really smooth.[/quote]

Don't worry, I yeah, I noticed that soon after I commented, but I had worse. :p
Hopefully YouTube will raise the quality. I used a jPeg and used the 'save for web & devices" That way I was able to know if it was under 1M.

I also had this problem. I had the strips in the background of the header (you can see it on our logo), but it just pixelated horribly. I had to make it more of a gradient despite trying different formats and sizes. Why this is...? I don't know. I'm assuming YouTube is only using safe for web colors (256) or just hates a lot of color. All I can recommend is simplifying it, it sucks, I know.

ughhh I hate the new layout. But great artwork! I like it
Haha, thank you. At first I was like "ugh..." but i figure its going to be just like facebook. Everyone gets used to it, and eventually kinda like it, until YouTube Unlimited comes out, and everyone freaks and hates that again LOL. Plus, the intro video to non subscribers is pretty awesome.

Not saying it to be in any way rude or offensive, so I hope you dont take it as such, but your banner actually is a little pixilated. Maybe thats not the right word, but im guessing the jpg or png you used didnt look like that initially. Was probably higher quality. But the compression changed the look a little. I can see the edges are not really smooth.

Don't worry, I yeah, I noticed that soon after I commented, but I had worse. :p
Hopefully YouTube will raise the quality. I used a jPeg and used the 'save for web & devices" That way I was able to know if it was under 1M.[/quote]
:D Lets all hope hope hope. Would be nice. I used png in the end and did the web devices thing too. Blah.

I also had this problem. I had the strips in the background of the header (you can see it on our logo), but it just pixelated horribly. I had to make it more of a gradient despite trying different formats and sizes. Why this is...? I don't know. I'm assuming YouTube is only using safe for web colors (256) or just hates a lot of color. All I can recommend is simplifying it, it sucks, I know.

Ah, yeah, i cropped those off when I was editing. I used the safe for web colors, and yeah, it still killed them, haha. And I cant really simplify my painting. Well i COULD, but that would be more painting. (Im so lazy, hahaha) Ah well, i'll live with the compression until they up their game over there!!

Here's a fix to compensate things: Increase the sharpness of the banner so that when it gets smoothed back down after uploading it looks close to the way you wanted it in the first place. I recommend an unsharp mask filter applied at 60-90% .. my banner was at 70%

In Photoshop:
1) Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask
2) Amount = (60 - 90%) Radius = 1.0 Threshold = 0

After uploading it will look closer to the way you wanted .. not exact but close

Back